1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Cancelled OM-D pre-order; sticking with Gen 1 a bit longer

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by penfan2010, Mar 25, 2012.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I jumped on the OM-D bandwagon very early on, and pre-ordered the EM5 as soon as they were available on Amazon. Being a huge Oly fan since the 80s and the happy user of an OM-1n for more than 20 years, I couldn't wait for the digital incarnation of one of the finest compact 35mm cameras ever built.

But then I got to thinking about the fact that I did shoot happily with the Om-1n for more that 20 years, and that, before I got into :43:, I rarely suffered from GAS. And then I reminded myself that I got into :43: because it allowed me to use all the great Oly and Leica lenses I bought over the years. And that I sold off most of my Olympus DSLR gear so I could enjoy shooting with the smaller, lighter :43: gear. And now, only 16 months after switching to :43:, I really didn't need to upgrade again, especially as I am the happy owner of 3 (all second hand, 2 purchased on this forum's classifieds) Gen 1 :43: cameras, which still shoot great.

So, I cancelled my pre-order for the EM5, and went out shooting with the 3 "oldies" over the last few weeks to celebrate my (temporary) return to being GAS-free.

The original: the E-P1, my first :43:. Now "upgraded" with a $10 Flipbac Grip (much better handling now) and $20 Flipbac LCD viewer (saved me $400+ on buying the E-PL3 just for the fancier angle viewer). I keep the VF1 on permanently and use the E-P1 with the Panny 20mm 1.7 or the Oly 17mm 2.8. This combo has saved me repeatedly from the temptation of buying a Fuji X100 or Leica X1. My wife actually uses it more than I do for her art work.

P3250242.

The E-PL1: I wanted a second body, and really wanted the E-P2 and VF-2 combo, but could't justify spending for the P2. Read great reviews about the PL1, and found a decent second hand price for it and a VF-2 here on the forum. I use it mostly with my legacy Olympus Pen, OM and Leica lenses (here shown with the Oly Pen F 70mm F2). The LCD has a crack, but still works, so rather than shelling out $170 to have it repaired, I just affixed an old DSLR screen protector over the LCD with black gorilla tape. My younger son now borrows it a lot to shoot macro photography of his Lego creations and Warhammer plastic model figures.

P3250897.

I bought the G1 in August last year (again, great price on the forum classifieds) because I had a shoot that required 3 bodies. Almost sold it soon after but realized the mini-DSLR shape and substantial grip made it better than either of the Pens for handholding my longer lenses (GI below with the last of my old Oly four-thirds gear, the Zuiko 70-300mm with the Panasonic 4/3 to :43: adapter).

P3250896.

I am sure I won't be able to use these great :43: for as long as my OM-1n, and that these Gen 1 bodies do not have many of the great features of the newer generation of :43: like the E-P3 and E-M5. But, I am happy with the photos I am taking with my stable of "oldies", and get good exhibition prints up to 11 x 14, so should be able to hold off for another couple of years (until the EM5 is being sold at deep discount by the early adopters!).

Now if I could only keep my self from buying any more lenses!

• Like Like x 9
  2. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Upgrading bodies within m43 is totally overrated. Olympus has been basically selling the same 12MP sensor for years now with each new camera implementing so-called "tweaks", reviewers had to write something so they were telling about those tweaks like they really matter, readers were picking up those reviewers words about "weaker AA filter" that allows producing "much sharper" images... :laugh1: This whole thing with "new-generation" cameras appearing every 9-12 months is a real mess imho that is designed to appeal primarily to GAS addicts, while in reality it's quite hard to tell the difference in PQ between the very "1st-gen" and the "last-gen" cameras in real-world scenarios.

By the way do you mind telling about that shoot for which you needed 3 bodies? Sound like fun! :tongue:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Woo-Hoo!!!! Congrats. You've beat them at their own game. you can buy a barely used one next year at half of that price.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Congrats and u are on the right tract , I just need OMD because of weather sealing. Now I can guess that u use EPL1 the most as its one of the best MFT cameras available .
    Cheers

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd just buy the OM-D when used ones start trickling. M43 has a quick turn over rate. Saying that, the advances on the OM-D are a pretty big step from previous generation Olympus M43 bodies. This one is a game changer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks; weather sealing is one of the best attractions of the OM-D and hopefully this features attracts more users. You are right, I shoot most of my photos with the E-PL1.

7. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Wait.. Did you say you own all the 3 cameras? Or you bought one for each family member? :biggrin:

I think the OM-D is a big step from the previous models but I'm not happy with the idea that I'm going to pay for the weather sealing feature I'd be scared to use. I don't know about the other guys but I wouldn't risk a $1000 piece of equipment exposed to all the elements.

Will be waiting for an OM-D less the weather sealing and probably, the viewfinder.

• Like Like x 1
  8. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    In sunny Australia? :biggrin:

9. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    OM-D is out of my price range (and imho overpriced - in the UK anyway: £1000 body only) but I will enjoy reading all the user reports from those who do buy one.

Actually, I have been having similar thoughts re upgrading to an E-PL3 or E-PM1 - was going to take the plunge this month with the Olympus (UK) cashback offers, but on the other hand it's still a lot of money and my E-PL1 and Nex 5 between them do everything I want at the moment. And not upgrading would free up funds for a legacy macro lens, a Panasonic 20mm or Olympus 45mm lens and possibly the Sigma 30mm for the Nex (45mm focal length much more useful than the 60mm on m43).

New lenses seems like a better investment (would not get much for my cameras used anyway) than new bodies - sure I would be getting slightly faster autofocus, better white balance and perhaps a few other small benefits - but bodies come and go, there will always be a newer 'better' one around the corner. (In any case the Pen lineup is getting new models this summer I believe, so could be some end of line bargains then?)

• Like Like x 1
  10. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I don't feel one bit of guilt over my OM-D pre-order. I've been waiting patiently using my G1 since it came out. It was time to upgrade. I still shoot my G1, and it's still a great little camera.

• Like Like x 2
  11. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks, Kabayan. "Buying one for each family member" is my rationalization! :smile:

Maybe the weather sealing on the OM-D will help with the humidity in the Philippines?

12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Can't agree with you more about upgrading lenses being a better thing to do than trading bodies. May sell the G1 and 4/3 zoom to get an Oly 45.

13. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Not really.. More of water-proofing. :biggrin:

It will be amazing if Olympus could integrate their "Tough" technology on micro4/3. :thumbup:

14. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Such a wise thought, for now i stick with E-3 (from EP-L1) this will usefull for weather sealed and will had another EP-L&VF:2 for daily usage, even this 2 body used price still below E-5 (used) and EM-5 (new), will consider if the price was fair for me

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    I couldn't agree more too
    Granted, i'd love the OM-D, who wouldn't ?
    but it's 1000 euro (maybe more) for the body
    That money can buy you the panasonic 20mm, oly 45mm and panasonic 100-300mm (for example)

My EPL2 and GF2 will have to last a bit longer.

I'd be more intresting to get a GH3 (late 2012 ?) one day, as that will provide me with a more DSLR body and it will be perfect to compliment my smaller micro 4/3 bodies.

the best example i can compare it with is computers, I used to upgrade once or twice a year...
    now i've been having the same pc for two years almost and it's still great, though i'll replace the graphic card soon now because it will give me a great boos
    in other words, it's a worthy upgrade ;)

16. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    yes indeed, with a $1000 to spend there is so many option regarding a combo E3+swd lens or other lenses and body

17. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Couldn't agree more, Wolf! I likewise got off the regular computer upgrade treadmill a few years ago, and when I do buy, I stick with refurbs (via Apple online store) or other second hand sources. :thumbup:

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Completely agree with you. Upgrading (I do it a lot) isn't really useful, only satisfying gas. Now I downgraded from 5n to 5 and I'm happy. Think I'll stick with my bodies for a long while.

19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    To the OP: I think you made a smart decision. If you're existing gear meets your actual needs (as opposed to your desires), then save some dough and wait until you either need more, or something comes along that will really improve your images.

I got a sizable bonus from work a couple of weeks ago, and was thinking about using some of it on new gear, but I honestly can't come up with anything I really need right now.