Canadian help? Can't find an SLR Magic 12mm lens to buy…

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RoadTraveler, Dec 2, 2013.

1. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I've been researching this lens for a few days, most of yesterday, decided I wanted to buy one today/ASAP and yesterday located a dealer in Canada that has them in-stock, The Camera Store. Better than waiting for Adaroma to get the new CINE version that I don't want.
    Ideally I'd like to pay for expedited shipping to have it on Wednesday before I leave for an assignment out of town on Thursday.

I did a bit more research this morning, called The Camera Store to buy the lens, only to learn they won't/can't sell to American customers as they are not setup to verify American credit cards. Bummer :frown:

Continued searching and doesn't look good to find this lens in stock anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. Honk Kong might be an option tomorrow, but I'd like to buy (and ship faster) a little closer to home.

Are there any Canadian members here who would be willing to order the lens for me and have it shipped to me? I think sending you the money via Pay Pal would be easy as long as you have the time to place the order and don't mind helping a member acquire some gear…

I photographer and writer for a very nice 4WD/overland travel magazine, and I'd be happy to send the helper a few issues as a thank you.

Send me a PM please.

Regards,

James

2. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Calgary?

Well, sometimes it's just not easy to do business…

The Camera Store won't ship out of Canada, so that means someone would have to walk into the store, buy the lens, then ship it to me…much more hassle.

I'm back to looking for other online sources.

James

3. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
  4. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks for the offer.

Canadian taxes appear to make this difficult… leaning toward buying from Hong Kong.

5. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Hoops

The Hong Kong seller that showed the lens in stock doesn't have it...Working on another solution to get one from Canada.

Sure hope I like (love!?) the lens after trying to buy one for a few days. Maybe I'll know in a couple weeks.

6. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    What is a SLR Magic 12mm lens

7. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
  8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    You have a pm road traveler. I'm in calgary, and can facilitate your needs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Hong Kong didn't work out, the vendor didn't have the lens in stock as indicated on their site…

However, I was offered assistance by a couple Canadian acquaintances and my lens is on the way.

Looking forward to seeing with it.

Thanks to all and m4/3.

10. jeffharris

jeffharris New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2011
    New York City
    It seems as if SLR Magic is about to release an updated version of the standard (non-focus geared) 12mm. I saw some images recently of the lens (of course, I can't find them now) and it looks like the new version will switch the location of the aperture ring from the front of the lens to the back, nearest the camera body, like the geared version has. I have the original version and the aperture ring is in the front.

It's a great lens! It's too bad it doesn't get more notice. I guess fully manual lenses are considered "specialty" items at this point.

11. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Last week I spent several hours (maybe 20+) over a few days researching the SLR Magic 12mm lens, reading everything I could find both old and new. What I have come to understand/believe after reading, looking at press release photos, etc.:

-1st Gen of the lens had the aperture ring forward, focus ring at the rear, but the focus ring turned to the right (clockwise) for infinity.

-2nd Gen (just discontinued) has the focus ring at the rear, but it turns to the left for infinity. This is the same as my Voigtlander m4/3 f/0.95 lenses and how I wanted my lens to work.

-3rd Gen recently announced in press releases has the focus ring moved out front and is geared. This may be a positive change for the cinema guys, and I read SLR Magic did this in response to demand, but I have no interest in the new version that puts the controls in different places from my other lenses.

I've very happy to have the now discontinued second version of the lens coming, it's exactly what I wanted. I hope I like the results and using it as much as my recent manual focus Voigtlanders.

12. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Have it

Now to see how well the tool and I work together in the coming months.

P1040342.JPG

13. Curtox

Curtox Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

14. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012

It seems the best/closest to complement the Voigtlander f/0.95 lenses I recently acquired. I still have and will use my m4/3 autofocus lenses, but I'm having a love fest with these super fast, close-focusing primes.