1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Canadian Black Friday E-M1 Deal - Go For It Or Wait?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Carbonman, Nov 23, 2015.

  1. Wait, your E-M10 gives the same image quality & the E-M1 Mk.II will be worth the wait.

  2. Buy it, it's a great camera at an unreal price!

  3. Flip a coin...

  1. Carbonman

    Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

    Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I received an email from Olympus Canada about deals for this coming Black Friday. The E-M1 body is on sale for $950CDN. I always told myself that if it ever went below $1K CDN that I'd buy it. I'll give my current camera to my wife to get her seriously into photography. She's using a decade-old Canon compact camera with tiny LCD that's useless in bright daylight.
    The problem is threefold; I have an E-M10 that gives me equivalent image quality, the replacement for the current E-M1 is going to hit the market in about 12 months, and the value of the E-M1 (if I buy it now) will plummet in a year, making it a so-so trade in (wifey will probably stick with the smaller & lighter E-M10).
    Your considered opinions please!
  2. barry13

    barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

    Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California

    If you don't need the weather-sealing or any of the other features of the E-M1, I vote 'wait'.

  3. davidzvi

    davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

    Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I've owned both the E-M1 and E-M10 before and am currently in the market for and E-M10 mkII.

    My take on the E-M1? Great camera if you need the advanced features. But before you buy one make a list of those features you actually need. While I did really like the grip and handling I couldn't actually come up with a reason for keeping the E-M1. So I sold it for an E-M10 and put the rest into glass.
  4. budeny

    budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

    Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    As much as I love my EM1, I wouldn't buy it at $950 right now..
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Carbonman

    Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

    Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    It's the equivalent of about $715USD. Would that change your answer?
  6. NoSeconds

    NoSeconds Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

    BUY!!!! BUY!!!!! BUY!!!!!!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. budeny

    budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

    Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I was assuming that $1 CAD for Canadians is same value as $1 USD for Americans.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. barry13

    barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

    Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    OK... new question:
    Would you keep the E-M1, or would you want to get the E-M1 II next year anyways?
    If the former, then that's a really good price.

  9. Klorenzo

    Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

    Mar 10, 2014
    The E-M10 II and E-M5 II were released this year so there will be no updates on these models for at least 18 months since release. The price of the E-M1 II is going to be quite high ($1500 body only?).
    This to me means that the E-M1 is still going to be the best Oly camera around for the next two years unless you are willing to jump to the mark II version at full price.

    The E-M1 price will drop after the release/announcement but not so much: we are never going to see a new E-M1 body for $300. The lowest price could be around $850 (except for special offers/clearances). When the new model comes out the price difference is so high to make the current model still interesting.

    You can check here how the E-M5 prices went: E-M5 | Amazon Product Search

    I have the E-M10, I'm looking at the E-M1 too. The reasons are Four Thirds lenses, bigger EVF and ergonomics. Not enough for me to replace right now, the camera is new and I chose this months ago for the smaller size.

    I'd also consider if the E-M10 is really the best option for your wife when compared to the RX-10/100, LX-100, etc. My sister got a G6 camera, she used it once and went back to the smartphone...
  10. turbodieselvw

    turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

    Jun 29, 2010
    I love my EM1. I may have to pick one more up and dump my EM5.
  11. mcasan

    mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

    Feb 26, 2014
    But already and learn all the ins and outs especially with firmware 4. When E-M1 Mark II arrives next September, this body becomes you second/backup body. The wife and I got backup form 3 weeks in Kenya on Sunday. We both had 2 E-M1 bodies. We usually had the 40-150 Pro on one body and Panasonic 100-300 on the other. Great combo.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Turbofrog

    Turbofrog Mu-43 Legend

    Mar 21, 2014
    That's a pretty great price.

    I have spent far too much on photography in the last little while, and the E-M1 has only modest benefits over my existing GX7. But...

    ...it would be really nice to have a bulletproof weather-sealed body to go with my 4/3 11-22 HG. Would be a great combination for shooting in the rain, which always yields wonderful photos in the city. I can only assume that the PDAF would help a lot with the pokey focus on the 11-22, as well.

    But even still, $950 just to shoot in the rain is a lot of money. I could get a Pentax K50 with a weather resistant zoom for half that. :( 
  13. emorgan451

    emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

    WOW...our olympus price in US on black friday is $850. Can we buy from Olympus Canada? lol
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Turbofrog

    Turbofrog Mu-43 Legend

    Mar 21, 2014
    Don't be too jealous.

    Olympus Canada loves us so much that they decided to completely eliminate any Refurbished Camera and Lens deals from their website. So while you guys can get lenses like the 75mm/1.8 for $560US / $750CDN, we get "huge savings!" of $1150 CDN down to $1000 CDN ($750 USD).

    Aside from my 7.5mm fisheye and the $99 Panasonic 25mm I just bought, every single one of my lenses has been purchased used privately, so I'm obviously thrilled by the idea of cheap factory recertified options...
  15. gryphon1911

    gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

    Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I think you'll be getting 99% of the features in the new firmware for the EM1 mk 1 that you'll get in the EM1 mk 2. The rumor mill is still out on the Mk 2, so you don;t really know what it is you'll be getting until an official release.

    I have the EM1, love the EM1 for all the things it can do better than the EM5 Mk II.
    The EM1 feels like a solid tool, built to a high standard and very usable. The EM5 has more of a "fun" factor to it.

    For the price, though, you'll be hard pressed to find a better m43 camera. The IBIS is top notch. If it is in the budget and you want/need it....jump on it.
  16. bikerhiker

    bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

    Dec 24, 2013
    I live in Canada as well and got the same email. Where did you get the $950 CDN price? It's advertised $999.99 CDN for the Black Friday sale. The E-M5 Mk II is advertised for $849.99 as well. Those are great prices for people who are planning to get into the m43 system. For me though; I'm not biting it..

    I currently own both an E-5 and an E-P5; both very capable cameras that pretty much addresses all my shooting needs. For sports, action and bird in flight, I have the E-5 and with DXO Optics Pro 10 Elite, it just made this a brand new camera (extra detail extraction and 1 stop better noise performance) which makes this equal to a Nikon D300s which a lot of pro shooters still shoot today btw. If I want to replace this, I need a body that provides a substantial upgrade which the E-M1 does not provide me. There are certain weaknesses on the current E-M1 which could be addressed on the new E-M1 Mark II. The weaknesses that will be addressed is the speed of the EVF (delay/blackout) when shooting high speed sports and action. This is where a DSLR is still king with the optical viewfinder and thankfully, Olympus knows this and is trying to address it. Second weakness is its PDAF implementation and shooting in situations that don't rival nor match even the middle of the road APS DSLR like the Nikon D7100/D7200/Canon 7D or even the D5300 which is cheaper than the E-M1. Also in reading the birdforum.net where serious birders who shoot with Olympus systems still prefer the E-5 over the E-M1 for quick AF and accuracy and this also reflects in my experience using the E-M1 vs E-5, which was the reason why I bought a used E-5. And for $300 Cad and in mint condition, I just couldn't refuse! I'm so spoiled by the fantastic AF performance of the Nikon D4s/D4 that I see the E-M1 as closer to the Nikon D200 performance even with the new firmware 3.1. Again, Olympus acknowledged this through the meeting they just held with the Olympus visionaries not too long ago so I'm more excited with the E-M1 Mk II if both the EVF refresh rate is improved as well as the new PDAF implementation that will surpass my Olympus E-5 by a huge margin or equal to best the Panasonic GX8/GH4 level. I'm sure the new GH5 will be even more impressive AF wise.
    Then of course, you'll get the handheld hi-res feature as well which I believe will come with the E-M1 Mk II.

    Sadly though and I go by this cryptic message from Jamie McDonald's latest blog after he came back from the Olympus meeting that all he could say about the E-M1 Mk II was that, "You can not defy physics and that the full frame sensor will always perform better than a small sensor". This to me indicates that the E-M1 Mk II, like the E-M5 Mk II and the new Panasonic GX8, will not have any significant DR and noise improvements. If you are looking to get full frame capabilities, the Sony A7 is going for $1199 CDN right now for Black Friday.

    So here's what I would do if I were you..

    If you need these features now not later:
    1, Weather Sealing
    2, Support for 4/3 lenses and somewhat decent C-AF tracking
    3, New features in firmware 4.1
    4, Robust pro body build

    Then get the E-M1 so you can use it right now. $1000 is a significant outlay of money. And don't forget, bodies do depreciate like nobody's business.
    The E-5 body I bought used from a store for $300 was from trade-in which I believe is probably worth about $100 to $125 CDN. This E-5 was a pro-level body which at one time retailed for around $1600-$1800 CDN. Do you see a problem? Even a used E-M5 is worth around $349 to $449 CDN. It once retailed around $1000 CDN too. You will loose 50% whether you like it or not. So that's why it is VERY VERY IMPORTANT when you buy the body that can benefit you greatly against your current body so even if you loose money later, you would have at least justified it by using the features that you would not otherwise be able to use without having this body.

    The difference between the E-M1 vs E-M10 image quality wise is not that great. The only thing I can think of that would justify the E-M1 is weather sealing because I find this indispensable when living in this wet coast of British Columbia. But then you need weather sealed lenses to complete the package right? Do you have a lot of weather sealed lenses from ultra-wide to super telephoto? If not, weather sealing is only good on the body.

    Hope this helps..
  17. mcasan

    mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

    Feb 26, 2014
    We just got back from Kenya where we shot our E-M1s while every other photographer was shooting 1DX, 5DII, and/or 7DII. Our safari leader was totally amazed at the E-M1. Granted his 1DX did do better AF and high ISO handling that our E-M1s. Considering that body costs 7 times a E-M1...it should. Do we miss our rolling bags of 50 pounds of Canon bodies and L glass? Not in the least.
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Carbonman

    Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

    Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    That's the agonizing question; how much of a usable improvement will the E-M1 Mk.II be? If it's only a 10% improvement in image quality, I'd keep the 'old' E-M1. If the improvement is amazing, it becomes a potential trade in - which reduces the 'great deal' by quite a bit.
  19. Carbonman

    Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

    Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I was thinking of buying the 75mm f1.8 as well, which would drop the body price by $50.
    I have the 12-40, 60, 40-150 Pro plus 1.4 TC. The weather resistance would be a nice improvement. The EVF would be a huge improvement over the E-M10.

    Still agonizing...
  20. TwoWheels

    TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

    May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    I was asking the same question you are a couple months ago. I had just sold my Canon dslr and was down to a GM1 and an original E-M5. I decided that life is too short to spend the next year waiting, so I ordered an E-M1. I am glad I did. Not so much because it has better photo quality or has additional features that justify the incremental cost. It's more that it's a really nice camera I like to use. I can't fully define it, but it feels like a "real" camera--like a small, lightweight dslr that's very high quality and put together really well. (@Carbonman@Carbonman - think Campy vs. SRAM road components)

    Anyway, I say go for it if you can afford it and aren't spending money that should be used elsewhere. A year (or two if you don't like to pay full pre-order price) is a long time to wait and none of us are getting younger! We all try to be responsible and rational with our financial decisions, but I suspect most of us aren't. I tend to analyze and agonize over an incremental $50-100 when it comes to buying a camera or lens, but when my daughter is headed to a soccer tournament or soccer academy that will cost $1,000 I usually just say ok without a second thought. :eek:  :coco: Just make sure you use it enough that in two years when you want to upgrade you'll look back and say, "I sure got my money out of that."
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.