Canada Post?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Jun 25, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    First off, no offence to Canadians.

Has anyone, outside of Canada (including the US), ever bought anything from Canada and how long has it taken to arrive? I bought an item on 29 May from eBay and it was accepted by Canada Post on 2 Jun at Edmonton PO. It was processed at Richmond PO on 3 Jun, sat around there for eight days and finally left Canada on 11 Jun, according to the tracking number.

I've bought stuff from just about everywhere in the world and never had to wait this long for something to arrive (err, not arrive). What I bought was a microscope stand (no objectives etc, just the focussing rail and stand) and the postage cost was in the order of $90 (I while back bought a full microscope from the US and the postage was half that and it arrived within five days), so I thought this was coming over on air freight and expected it to be here by now.

Looking at the map of the Pacific, there's not much between Richmond/Vancouver, Canada and Australia, other than Hawaii, so I'm kind of baffled as to where on earth this package could possibly be. It won't be at our customs, as they process stuff very fast, especially when it's low cost. This is so frustrating, as it's holding up a project of mine.

2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah Ray I'm in the same predicament as you. I bought a D40 from Lithuania on the 1st of June and it still hasn't arrived. Either the eBay seller is a prick or it's lost in the mail, fortunately I paid for it through paypal. I've put a claim in and I'm just waiting for there verdict. ( this is the 5th claim put into paypal and to their word I've had each one reimbursed)

Now about your question. My brother bought a gps on eBay from a bloke in Toronto and it took just over 2 weeks to arrive. So hopefully you'll get it. Or you could get a claim on the way and if it does arrive cancel it.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I know it's been sent and the dealer has a good rep, but I just can't believe that it's taking this long. All I can think of is that it's on a cargo ship cruising the Pacific and may one day end up in Oz.

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    well ive bought stuff from hong kong in the past and had it in about a week ,8 days

but the recent stuff has taken 25 days , its still not here
  5. sinjin

sinjin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hi OzRay,

$90 sure sounds like expedited shipping. Does your tracking number give information on the service the shipper chose (air/ground)?

As a Canuck living amongst Kiwis I have a lot of experience with this. What I've found is that if the shipper pays to ensure the package goes by air, then you usually get it in reasonable time (2 wks, sometimes less). If they request "whatever is cheapest," thereby saving what doesn't amount to much in most cases, the package does by "ground" and it is a 50/50 chance that it will go straight towards Oz or take the milk run. If if goes the short route you get it in 2-3 weeks. The long route is 3 months give or take a couple days.:frown:

Hope your shipper chose air!

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Sounds like seamail.
  7. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010

I have been involved in several transactions where I have ordered something up from the 'States and the seller placers an electronic shipment order with USPS making it look like it is on the way, only to find out that five days later he actually delivers the item to the post office for transit.

In any case it is up to your seller to provide you with a decent explanation here.

8. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    i live in normally takes about 2 weeks to get from here to most places in the states.

coming from the states to edmonton is about the same.
    i have had stuff delivered from h.k. and china faster than from the states.

the longest i have waiting is when buying from oz, it has taken up to 6 weeks...that's why i don't buy from oz anymore.

i find it is customs more the the post office that holds things up.
  9. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I've shipped to and from north american and Australia before... it really depends. Honestly shipping prices are ridiculous between the two places. $90 is neither expensive nor cheap, it's only average. That means it might be "sea mail" as some one else mentioned. If it's "sea mail" it will take about 2 months... It's literally sitting on a boat cruising along the ocean... I would expect air mail to be roughly $150 and it would still be 2 weeks - not quick by any standard...

When I was selling my 20mm prime, I priced up shipping and that would have costed $90 airmail and you probably know how small and light that thing is.
  10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'm here in the States. From Canada is usually 7-10 days.
    Same if I ship to there.
    Your a few miles more away so I would think 2-3 weeks is normal.

I ordered an Epson R-D1s from Japan on Wednesday afternoon. Sunday morning the door bell rang and the camera was here. True enuff!
  11. slau

slau Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Whenever the shipment is crossed border, and involves either Canadian or US Border Services, the ETA timing is hit-and-miss. Most of the time the Canada Post or USPS are not the guilty parties that cause the extra delay.
  12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Thanks all. I guess I'm just going to have to wait. But I sure hope it's not going to be 2-3 months in this day and age.