1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

CANADA: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 for CAD28+TAX

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by harryz, Jul 28, 2016.

1. harryz

harryz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Igor
    DEAD:
    Store Visions Electronics has Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Full version, Disc) for just $28 + tax and free shipping.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (09258ENG)

I just got free DxO 9 and Lightroom will be really great addition to processing flow.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. Lerxst

Lerxst Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2015
    Looks like Canada only...bummer. I really want a copy of this.

3. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Now it's showing in-store only too so you'd be doubly vexed. :D

Folks do need to be aware that LR5 does not offer RAW support for the most recent m43 bodies. Check here to see the minimum required Lightroom version: Cameras supported by Adobe Camera Raw

For example, the GX8, PenF, EM5mk2, EM10mk2, and even the TG4 all require LR6.
    (it was my purchase of the EM5mk2 last year that forced my LR5 to LR6 upgrade)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    You can buy this and upgrade to LR6, can't you? I wonder if it's worth the cost to get into Lightroom this way.

5. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Yes, that should be workable. I'm unsure if Canadian pricing is different, but for the US the full version of LR6 is US$149 and the upgrade version is US$79. So, getting LR5 full for CDN$28 would be a lower cost pathway to LR6.

However, do be aware of Lightroom's release cycle and timing. We're well over a year since LR6 came out, and the average release cycle has been two years or slightly less. I'd jump on the LR5 for sure, then consider carefully if I really needed LR6 right now. See Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My understanding is that LR6 is the last numbered standalone version that's planned; LR CC as a monthly subscription will be the only option available going forward.
    For $28, I'm going to drop into Visions today and grab a copy of LR5. It's like buying a dozen coffees, and my wife has been pestering me to drink less. :whistling:

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Since LR doesn't specifically have profiles for m43 lenses and applies them automatically in the background, are there support issues that way? If you have a camera that is supported, but a newer lens, will the corrections be applied? There is no list from Adobe for m43 lenses and ACR version, so I'm not sure.

8. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    I've certainly read speculation about that possibility, but only speculation. Did I miss a statement from Adobe that you could point me to?
    While I'm not saying there would definitely be a LR7 standalone version, I'm also not sure I see LR standalong going away for so long as people use LR with Photoshop Elements.

9. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    I believe the MFT specification is that the lens profiles are embedded into the image by the camera, and the lens firmware provides the profile to the camera.

As such, there's not really anything for Lightroom to do specifically beyond use the profile it's been handed.

Work with lens profiles in Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, and Camera Raw

10. harryz

harryz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Igor
    you can always convert RAW files from these cams to DNG format in the free Adobe DNG converter and then process them in Lightroom.

11. harryz

harryz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Igor
    Lightroom 5 is ok for GH4, EM1 and ep5. And the most important it is OK for my G5 and deal is dead.

12. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I can't point to the statement right now but recall Adobe saying publicly that they intended LR6 to be the last standalone LR version, with future development being restricted to the CC subscription version. They also included dehaze in CC and said it wouldn't be made available for LR6. Adobe is pushing hard to get everyone on a subscription model; they love the recurring revenue stream, as do MS with Office 365. I'm old school (and getting old). I prefer to own something and use it for as long a period as possible without paying over and over again.

13. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Yes you can, and thanks for the reminder. Personally though, I know it would take very little of having to do that before I'd pony up the $79.

I haven't ever seen such a thing and can't find one via Google. Closest is the opposite, albeit the statement is three years old: Adobe publicly confirms stand-alone future for Lightroom

Correct; Adobe's never as far as I know added functionality between versions until they instituted the subscription model. If I were paying for a subscription I'd expect new/added functionality to come out as it was ready and not be queued up awaiting the next major version release. If there is a LR7 released I would expect that functionality to be there.

Likewise. I'll gladly upgrade software for new features that are worth it to me, such as support for new cameras or new tools, but otherwise I don't have to keep up with the Joneses.
    I'm curious to see what Serif does in terms of creating a digital asset manager. Their Affinity Photo product is really nice and does everything I need in terms of editing. I've also been quite happy with DxO OpticsPro in terms of RAW processing and denoising.

14. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I picked up the last copy they had. Including taxes, it came to $31.36 CDN. The case says "For bundling with computers, digital cameras, scanners, and inkjet printers only. Not to be sold separately." My guess is that it's considered obsolete stock and they were just blowing it out because they couldn't use it for promotions or value adds anymore. The great thing is that I can learn on LR5 and decide if I like the software for a very low price, and upgrade to LR6 for about $110 CDN.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    For the price it's well worth having. Do research a bit on recommended ways to configure/setup Lightroom. There's a lot of complexity available, and although the default may not be how you want to operate, it likely can work how you want to. I've seen people complain that it prevented them from using folder organization when in fact it does allow it, but you need to remember to do your moves/renames from within Lightroom so it can keep up with things.