Can you view pictures in 3D on a normal TV (with 3D glasses) out of the 3D lens?

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Hi guys,

So, I'm thinking about picking up the little Panasonic 12.5mm 3D lens as a fun little toy for when I get the OM-D...however...I read somewhere that you can view it with red/blue or whatever glasses on a normal TV...is that true? Or do you ABSOLUTELY have to get a 3D TV?

Also...this'll work just fine on the OM-D, right? (B&H says it only works on certain Panasonics, but I think that's out of date...so I thought I'd ask).

danimal

Mu-43 Supporter
Real Name
Dan
You can view red/cyan images on any TV (old timers will remember 3D Kung-fu movies on UHF channels back in the day). You will probably need to post process it into the re/cyan image yourself. A 3D TV is only required if you want to view the MPO file directly on your TV.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Ah, thanks! It's actually your thread in the samples section that got me thinking! :)

I have a few questions:

Does this mean that you can set it up so that the camera saves BOTH the original left and right pictures in addition to the MPO 3D file it creates?

How would you process it? Do you just take the two pictures, tint one cyan, the other red and then put one on top of the other as layers in Photoshop and then view the final image?

danimal

Mu-43 Supporter
Real Name
Dan
The MPO file is actually both the left and right images in a single file. MPO stands for Multi Picture Object, so it's just a container.

There are a few apps out there that can do it all for you including making the split image where you stare and get the 3D view.

I don't have links handy, but there are also a lot of tutorials about how to process each image in photoshop to create the red/cyan images. I'll post some tomorrow.

As for the lens, you need a bright scene since it's f/12. I've found daylight outdoors works the best.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Ahhh...cool, thanks! Are the individual pictures easy to get to/extract from the MPO container?

When you say apps are they for mobile phones/Android devices, or is there stuff I can do on my PC (I'm currently without a smartphone, and won't have one 'till I'm back in Canada in over a year).

Yeah, I read about the f12 aperture, I'm okay with that since I'll be getting an OM-D (IBIS) and I'm mostly planning on taking pictures of temples, ruins, scenery, etc during my travels through Asia (where it's generally pretty sunny). :)

danimal

Mu-43 Supporter
Real Name
Dan
I don't know how easy it is on Windows. On a Mac they are recognized natively and you can get at both images with the built in Preview tool.

By apps I meant just software on PCs and Macs, I haven't looked at smartphone or tablet stuff yet. Sorry for the confusion.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
No worries, thank you! If nothing else, I could get my brother (he has Macs) to extract the JPEGs (I'm assuming that's what they are) and send them to me and then take it from there...if someone with Windows could weigh in, that'd be awesome, though! I'll do some research into this as well when I get the lens...I love gadgets that take photography in a while new direction!

sinclair

Mu-43 Veteran
+1 as wanting to know good apps for the Mac to work with these files. I have a lens already, but haven;t had much time to play with it. But I've got a family reunion coming up and would love to take some 3D photos and then figure out a way to share them with everyone.

danimal

Mu-43 Supporter
Real Name
Dan
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all on this.

For the Mac there's a $0.99 app on the App Store that's pretty good: ShowMe3D

There is a free Mac app Stereo Splicer. I find it harder to use, but it's free and the results are good.

I talked to a friend that does a lot of 3D work and he said that on Windows for quick still images they use software called MPO Toolbox. He stressed there may be something better out there, but that they normally are not on Windows and this just works for them.

I hope this helps!

Dan

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
The MPO file is actually both the left and right images in a single file. MPO stands for Multi Picture Object, so it's just a container.

There are a few apps out there that can do it all for you including making the split image where you stare and get the 3D view.

I don't have links handy, but there are also a lot of tutorials about how to process each image in photoshop to create the red/cyan images. I'll post some tomorrow.

As for the lens, you need a bright scene since it's f/12. I've found daylight outdoors works the best.

Wicked, thanks! :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom