Can you use wireless triggers?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Johnny1.33, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Can you use wireless radio triggers like the cactus v5 on m4/3 cameras? I thought about getting wireless triggers and maybe yongnuo flashes. Maybe their triggers as well.

On g3.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Absolutely, yes.
  3. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    Latest yongnuo does not work!!! So be carefully. I have a thread about this point.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Doesn't work with which flashes, Longimanus?
  5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    If it's only for indoor work you could get the Yongnuo units with optical slave built in and trigger them using the pop up flash..... I do this with my E-PL2 flash on 1/16th or 1/32nd power and it never fails to trigger......
  6. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi Ned,

The problem is not on flashes I tried with metz 40mz, pana fl360 and third party flashes with success. But with my wife's canon body. At least on my GF1 the hot shoe from the wireless triggers (603 model) does not fit and when carefully I finally get to fit definitively does not work.
  7. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    It might be because the emitter exists in two different version, one for Canon and one for Nikon - different patterns of pins on the hotshoe. I have the Nikon version (the 602 model) and it works very well.
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Canon hotshoes have contacts that match the Four-Thirds hotshoes, but of course do different functions. Canon TTL cables work between Four-Thirds bodies and flashes, but you definitely don't want to use a Canon flash with it on a Four-Thirds body, or vice versa!

All my Yongnuos have only been single contact. I didn't know they had TTL triggers... Pocket Wizard ones I know of. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I use YongNuo triggers fit for Nikon TTL together with Nikon SB-24 flashes and the transmitter goes on the G1. No problems, works like a charm, but no TTL functionality or anything else fancy.
  10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    They don't. Some of the 3rd party triggers have a pass through shoe so you can have a TTL flash on camera and fire manual guns off camera. There are a couple of brands developing but currently only Pocket Wizard and Radio Poppers have radio TTL.

P.s. Very interesting about the cables. I just gave away a canon cable :-(.
  11. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    I use Cybersyncs by Paul C Buff and they've worked well so far.