1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Can you refresh focus in movie mode of E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by New Daddy, Nov 4, 2013.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    How do you change the focusing in E-M5 when it has no autofocus in the movie mode? Can you half-press the shutter button or touch on the LCD screen to re-focus, or are you stuck with the very first focus during the entire movie?

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I believe it depends on whether the REC button is programmed for video. When I have it set for AEL/AFL (for back button focus in stills mode), then I have to enter video mode to start a video, Then it stays with the initial focus in SAF mode. Never refocuses again.

On the other hand, when REC is set for video, then touching the shutter button will re-focus in SAF mode, which is one of the worst things you can do when shooting a singer who hasn't otherwise moved.

3. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Why is it a bad thing? Because it hunts for refocus?

4. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    If you're re-programmed the Rec button, and you are selecting Movie Mode on the mode dial, then F1 should refocus in S-AF.

• Like Like x 1
  5. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    On a related subject, is there any way to go to the magnify focus view when using the video mode on the dial in combination with a manual focus lens?

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Yes. The whole scene goes in and out of focus briefly. Ruins it,

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    That's something I didn't know. Thanks!

8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Really? I didn't know this...thanks!

I used to have my movie on continuous focus, but my god...it was jumping around CONSTANTLY...you got motion sickness from watching the damn thing haha...now I have it on single...so this should help! :D

9. Zohanx747

Zohanx747 New to Mu-43

Nov 5, 2013
    On the other hand, when REC is set for video, then touching the shutter button will re-focus in SAF mode, which is one of the worst things you can do when shooting a singer who hasn't otherwise moved.

10. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    So with the E-M5 (and probably the E-M1 also), it is not possible to touch an area of the screen during recording, to get the focus there?

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    You can actually use the touch screen to change focal point with the E-M1, but unfortunately not on the E-M5, if I recall correctly. I just tested it out on the E-M1 and it is a slow and smooth refocus, which is pretty impressive.

I believe one can do a quick refocus in movie mode with the E-M5 by half pressing the shutter release button, and set one of the function buttons to perform slow refocus, but cannot change focal point. Unfortunately, I don't have my E-M5 with me right now, so I cannot confirm this...

12. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    hkpzee: So according to your post, this feature (touch AF during video) is present on the E-M1.
    I am trying to decide between the E-M1 and E-M5, and if the E-M1 has this that is a big plus for me. Thank you.

13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    You are correct. I just tested it before reporting my findings. I will try to upload the video onto YouTube when I have a chance...

14. francis_a

francis_a Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Francis
    I've tried this as well and the E-M1 indeed can change focus while taking video using the touch screen. The change in focus is slow, mimicking a pull-focus operation. Pretty neat I must say.

15. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Man. As if I needed another reason to want an EM-1 (which I can't possibly afford).

16. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Me too. I have my eyes on GX7, the cost advantage over E-M1 being one factor. I really hope GX7 has this feature too, so I don't have to fork out another few hundred dollars for E-M1.

17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    As mentioned, here's a video of my quick test done today (sorry for the crude quality):

[video=youtube;Nstv9qjT0s4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nstv9qjT0s4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

• Like Like x 2
  18. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Does this mean E-M5 (and E-M1) can use AF-S during the movie mode? I think that's a very convenient feature. My Pannys forces AF-C on you during movie shooting, and you experience all kinds of nauseating focus-hunting that was mentioned above. The only way to avoid it is to use manual focus. But if Oly can do AF-S and stays calm without refocusing unless the user asks it to, I think it's another plus for video.

19. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    You definitely can. You can go into the custom menu and set it as default. Then there's no need to change it every time you change to movie mode.