Can you recommend the P 42.5 f1.7 over the Oly 45mm?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Compared the 45mm f/1.8 with the 42.5mm f/1.7 on the E-M1 in the store today. Overall, everything seems to be as Gordon from CameraLabs has described actually. I was not completely thrilled either way...
  • 42.5 feels much better built. The decoration ring and hood all fit on nice and snug.
  • Better grip on the 42.5 compared to 45 for manual focus and lens changing.
  • 42.5 is better across the frame for sharpness compared to 45mm wide open, and most of the way up to f/2.8 really.
  • The way the 45 softens towards the edge of the frame is not as nice - I start to see purple fringing rather than simple blur.
  • 42.5 has slightly better centre sharpness as well, but pretty negligible difference.
  • 42.5 has way better close focussing, not really good enough for insect macro but good enough for close ups of details, flowers, etc.
  • Both AF well enough.
  • I found bokeh of the 42.5 to be round enough, either wide open or stopped down to f2.8.
  • A bit more noticeable LoCA in the focus transition of the 42.5 compared to 45.
  • 42.5 has more contrasty and busy bokeh - 45 is noticeably nicer and smoother.
42.5 has better sharpness, tactile feel, and MFD (oh and of course OIS and hood), but bokeh is not as nice, all this for effectively twice what I'd paid for the 45. Decisions decisions...

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
a side by side comparison photo of the 3 lenses, showing their size differences. we're talking about the f1.7 here, not the f1.2.. ;)

P1060486.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

http://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=pana42
This photo in this previous post above shows the 3 AF prime portrait lenses for µ43's. I'm surprised the new P. 42.5mm f1.7 is in the new matte black and grey lettering. I thought Panasonic was just upgrading three of their zooms. I guess they are going to release new lenses in this new finish.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
This photo in this previous post above shows the 3 AF prime portrait lenses for µ43's. I'm surprised the new P. 42.5mm f1.7 is in the new matte black and grey lettering. I thought Panasonic was just upgrading three of their zooms. I guess they are going to release new lenses in this new finish.

I think the 42.5 design follows the 12-32 and new 35-100 in style and the 3 are great on the GM series. Now we just need a 14mm - 17mm prime with OIS to complete the package (I have the other 3 already;)).

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I think the 42.5 design follows the 12-32 and new 35-100 in style and the 3 are great on the GM series. Now we just need a 14mm - 17mm prime with OIS to complete the package (I have the other 3 already;)).
Panasonic Leica 15mm f/1.7 Summilux. Panasonic do not put OIS in lenses that do not go above 25mm in focal length, so don't expect an update. There's also a macro in this range btw, the 30mm f/2.8 OIS.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Panasonic Leica 15mm f/1.7 Summilux. Panasonic do not put OIS in lenses that do not go above 25mm in focal length, so don't expect an update. There's also a macro in this range btw, the 30mm f/2.8 OIS.
And I understand the arguments for why it's "not needed" on a short focal length. But street shooting or close up details at arms length it would be handy. I know my E-M10 has made shots possible that otherwise won't have been with my 17mm f/1.8.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Maybe in-lens stabilisation doesn't work well enough at very short focal lengths,
I mean 17mm and 15mm is very short indeed.
Perhaps in-body stabilisation is naturally more effective for those very short focal lengths?

Whtrbt7

Mu-43 Veteran
OIS is typically 3 axis stabilization vs 5 axis stabilization. The reason why manufacturers choose not to put OIS on lenses may be due to the fact that it "should" be easy to stabilize a camera for shorter focal lengths. The rule of thumb is normally to have a shutter speed 1/focal length as the lowest shutter speed. For those of us that shoot even lower, the want for stabilization is there but it really depends on how far you want to stretch the shooting envelope.

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
So close the photographer will have much more to do with the result than any difference in lenses. I'd say go with the one you find for the lowest price and use the savings for something else.

BigTam

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
So close the photographer will have much more to do with the result than any difference in lenses. I'd say go with the one you find for the lowest price and use the savings for something else.

Agree, except for most Panasonic bodies. The OIS then becomes a key differentiator.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
If you own an Olympus body, I'd just get the 45mm 1.8 lens. Used lenses, imports and refurbs are in the $200-$250 range. If you shoot with a Panasonic body, I'd easily go with the 42.5mm 1.7 just for the OIS. I tried both, and honestly in real world usage, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
The deciding factors for me were a combination of 2 factors.

One Oly and one Pan body, so OIS for the Pan.
Close focusing for details.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend

here's the comparison sharpness plot from that page. Panasonic isn't really showing the clear victory at the edges that the other test showed. Only significant margin might be the center at f2 and the edges at f5.6

Still, every test so far puts the Panasonic in the lead, even if the margin of victory is debatable. Throw in the close focus and the OIS and it's a winner (ignoring price value)

4294_por.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom