1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can you recommend a better compact/lightweight/travel tripod for me than this?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LowriderS10, Jun 4, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

So, I travel a lot, and I usually backpack. The size/weight of my equipment is fairly important.

So, I bought an Olympus OM-D and now I'm looking to get a decent tripod to go with it. I already bought a small/lightweight Arca Swiss ballhead, and I'm looking at legs. Here's what I have in mind (the link is just for informational purposes, since I'm in Korea and Horus Bennu is Korean, I can get these legs for around $100 locally):

HorusBennu FX 7325T Carbon Fiber Camera Tripod Ultra Compact Lightweight New | eBay

I love carbon tripods and I already have a full-size Horus Bennu I've been using extensively with my 5D Mark II with heavy lenses and I'm happy with the quality, so that's not an issue.

This tripod folds to 25cm/10 inches, and can reach a maximum height of 74cm/30 inches/2.5 feet and weighs 500g/1 lb (all without the ballhead).

My current mini tripod is a panhead (which I hate) Optex T25, which folds to about 29cm/11.5" and only extends to 50cm/20" and weighs 1 kilo/2lbs and has a stupid quick-release plastic plate.

Basically, if I go with these legs, my overall combination will still be smaller/lighter, while extending to nearly twice as tall and having an Arca Swiss ballhead on it...so it's a win all around.

The question is...can you suggest anything else that's compact, light and can be raised to be taller than this?

Thanks,
    Tamas

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I was able to pick up the Induro AKB1/BH1 at a very good used price of $80 and it was still in the box with the plastic wrappings around it. I always look for clean used and refurbished items before I purchase new. I was also able to purchase all of my Olympus lenses through the big $150 rebates that Olympus held on their lenses. New Induro Adventure AKB1 Tripod Kits AKB 1 693174735021 | eBay

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Life is tradeoffs. Nothing illustrates this better than the process of choosing a tripod.

I would encourage you to look at the "travel flat" designs. They are much less bulky/easier to pack than conventional style tripods. I also have rigged mine with a couple of backpack style straps and it carries so nicely I hardly know it is there.

Benro makes this style and IIRC some others do too. There are utube videos that will illustrate the concept much better than any words. Check also the Cullmann "Magic" line which executes the concept a little differently.

My tradeoffs ended up with buying this one: Note that it has a monopod conversion leg. It is almost certainly bigger than you want, however.

If you can find one in this style that is small enough for you, I think you will be a very happy guy.

BTW, one of the tradeoffs with the Benro is the lack of a conventional center column. For me this is not an issue at all. I rarely even carry the screw-on center column. I just put the ball head directly on the legs and it works fine.

5. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Another vote for the Slik Sprint Mini. With ballhead it's lighter than the HorusBennu set up you're considering, and it extends to 42 inches. I've used it with mFT cameras for two years now and found that it is adequately stable to produce sharp photographs in those increasingly infrequent situations where a tripod is necessary. I've come to believe that with small cameras, when traveling and backpacking it's good to go with the lightest tripod you can get away with (contrary to the old conventional wisdom that you should schlep the largest, heaviest tripod you can manage), and I think the Sprint Mini just hits that sweet spot for mFT.

6. dbrown1395

dbrown1395 New to Mu-43

May 31, 2013
    I am also into overkill on my tripod for the OM-D. Have the Manfrotto 55 pro with a huge head. Ugggg. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

7. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
  8. dbrown1395

dbrown1395 New to Mu-43

May 31, 2013
    Wow. Very nice. And very PRICEY!!!! Gotta win the lottery with this hobby. Really. So many cool things and eats the paycheck without being 2 weeks into the new month!

9. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    The cullmann costs around 50€ it's relatively cheap.

10. dbrown1395

dbrown1395 New to Mu-43

May 31, 2013
  11. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    Interesting, I'm looking at this one as well but I can find the 200t much easier (I'm in Spain). Where did you order from? I'm only finding German sites that have the 230t in stock.

12. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    I bought mine from ebay, but the price on amazon.co.uk was also around 50€ a few months ago.

13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions guys, I appreciate them! I can't get the Cullmans here in Korea, and some of the suggestions were way too big (folding to 55-56cm is too big for me right now), but I've put the Slik and the Sirui on the list! Can you change the heads on those? I prefer Arca-Swiss plates on ballheads...I have an extra one kicking around, so I'd like to use my own! :D

Thanks again, and if anyone has any more suggestions, fire away, I appreciate all input! :)

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have a Sirui T-005 tripod that comes with their C-10 ballhead. This is a really nice Arca-Swiss compatible head with very smooth operation. I bought a second C-10 for use with my monopod and tabletop tripod. They have a newer X version of the tripod that allows you to remove the center column. And of course, they make carbon fiber versions too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

15. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, you can change the head on the Sirui. The C-10 head is really nice. I found I liked it much better than my Photo Clam head, so I sold the PC.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    twokat...you, madam, may have just found my perfect tripod!!! Thank you. :D

The T-005x looks perfect, and that head looks beautiful too! I could have the aluminum for around $100 (with the head) or the CF for $200 (with the head). I loooooove carbon fibre (my big tripod is CF), but damn...double the price to save 200g seems a little excessive...

17. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Anyone ever heard of the China knock off tripod called bieke? They are selling compact carbon fiber tripod that look like mefoto and sirui for around usd150.

I found two reviews on youtube. Im really interested on the carbon fiber version.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KLfE0FBCag"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KLfE0FBCag[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoa1faHP6Bc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoa1faHP6Bc[/ame]

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

18. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Lowrider, He be a she. :) Yes I liked the C-10 enough to put on my small Gitzo tripod. The head that came with the Gitz left a lot to be desired.

19. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the links, I"ll do a bit of research on it...the annoying thing is that they make these tripods and slap different names/model numbers on it in every market...so info is hard to come by because it's so scattered!

EDIT: Ah...it folds to 17"/43cm which is quite a bit larger than the rest (the Sirui T-005 folds to 13"/32cm) and it weighs a ton...2 kilos/4lbs, which is roughly twice as heavy as the aluminum Sirui and 2.5x as heavy as the CF Sirui.

Here's a page I found with specs:

http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/bk-586.htm

Haha thanks...post edited accordingly! ;)

20. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    I believe the model of carbon fiber for the smaller version is Beike 777c. C stand for carbon fiber. beike 777c | eBay

I might gonna buy one for traveling, but not now.