Can you program the LEFT and UP buttons on the OM-D E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Nov 5, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

So...here's something from my E-M5 that I've been trying to figure out...for button functions, I set up the up/down/l/r buttons as "Direct Function," which the little info bubble describes as "Each arrow pad button can be assigned a direct function when they are pressed while shooting." This means that ALL FOUR arrows should allow you to assign functions to them.

The problem is, that underneath it, I can only assign the down and right arrows specific functions. I don't see anywhere where I can assign the up and left arrows functions...am I missing something?

Thanks,
    T

2. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I want this too. And, like you, didn't see a way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    as far as I am aware, you can only assign the down and right arrow.

• Like Like x 1
  4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Discovered this on the first day with my E-M5 and couldn't believe it. A year later, I can't believe that they weren't added via firmware update. It made and still makes absolutely no sense. That said, I don't think about it much anymore ... until someone reminds me! :mad:

:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    don't be daft. Of course not. That's far too sensible for Olympus to implement. :)

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Well, you can't assign left and up. They have predefined assignments - left is "select focus point" (which is fine with me), and up is "exposure compensation" which is stupid and a waste. I have the rear dial programmed for that. FWIW, I have right set to "ISO" and down to "set shutter release".

I think it's a stupid implementation to restrict certain functions to certain buttons or dials. It would have been both better for the user and simpler to implement a default definition for each and allow any programmable function to be assigned to any button (or dial if appropriate). My understanding is that the E-M1 is better in this regard.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm sure someone in Olympus has a good excuse as to why it works like it does - but I think most of us would agree that's it a pretty stupid restriction. I think we can all agree too that the chances of Oly fixing it are about as likely as the US government balancing its budget this year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, everyone...I'm relieved that it's not just me missing something, but I'm disappointed (yet again) in Olympus. It looks like those two buttons were meant to be assigned functions, but they dropped the ball on it.

Their handling of firmware updates (or lack thereof) is ridiculous!

I don't mind the left button being focus point, but I find the up button's function completely useless...I'd love to be able to assign magnify to that button (I have all my other custom buttons filled up with other stuff).

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There are a lot of arbitrary limitations when it comes to reprogramming the arrow buttons. It would be cool if they allowed all of them to be programmed, and then used that opportunity to drop some of the less useful other buttons and used the extra space to make them larger. The 4 buttons near the shutter release are particularly hard to distinguish and press.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    All Olympus cameras have been like this for at least the entirety of the m4/3 cameras. That, plus the random limits on what can actually be assigned to which button. I am a professional software engineer and have yet to fathom how on earth the limitations make any sense whatsoever. But there you go.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Actually, as much as I initially didn't like the buttons on the E-M5 (coming from a host of Canon DSLRs, including the 1D Mark III and 5D Mark II), I got used to them quickly, and I don't mind even the tiny Fn and Play buttons on the back...but yeah, it seems with the wording of being able to assign EACH arrow button a function, plus that none of the 4 buttons has any labeling that they intended to make all 4 programmable and then somehow dropped the ball and only made two of them programmable. This really should be fixed in a firmware upgrade, but we all know how likely that is. ;)