1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can you lock exposure to focus points

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by retiredfromlife, Aug 9, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Just wondering if you can lock/link the exposure say centre point or centre weighted to the focus point you select. From reading my E-P5 manual I cannot see a way. To me it looks like centre weighted always is taken from the centre unless I read it incorrectly.

Regards

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Only with face detect. It works well with that.

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Paul, could you please elaborate? I tried that just now on the E-M10, and it doesn't really couple metering and AF point, at least as long as there's no face present ...

The question is of high interest for me: I'm used to using aperture priority, spot metering and exposure compensation because I've found to give me sufficient control and still lets me work quite quickly.

As things stand, on Olympus cameras, there's no straightforward way to couple S-AF point and metering spot in any consistent way, whereas on the Panasonic cameras, this setup is actually the *default* and can't be changed in any way I know of.

Anyway, I think there's a reasonable way of working with the Olympus setup: With the E-M10, I meter, AE lock (hold), frame and move the AF point to the appropriate place; sometimes, I adjust exposure compensation. It's actually very DSLR-like and sounds more tedious than it is - and what's more, it's consistent, and reframing is quick and hassle-free.

I can't do the same with the Panasonic cameras. Because of the coupling, I have to frame and move the AF point first, then meter, AE lock and EV adjust regularily; thankfully, there's Zebra to help quick ETTR. It appears quicker at first sight, but re-framing usually means re-metering (because moving the AF point and thus having to re-adjust exposure compensation, and that can be a time hog.

Of course, on both cameras, center point metering (AF/spot) and recomposing with EV compensation works the same and more or less equally well (on Olympus, minus the Zebra, unfortunately) - however, it's just not the most exact way of doing things, and it means giving up some of the advantages of working with an EVF.

Trouble is, sometimes I prefer the Olympus way, sometimes the Panasonic method, so what I'd really, really like is a combination - or rather, a choice. Best would be moveable spot metering (Panasonic), persistent AE lock (Olympus), Zebra (Panasonic) and finally, quick center reset (Olympus allows you assign that to a button - one less key to press).

M.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The link to metering only works once it detects a face. Pity.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I seem to be having a problem setting up AEL/AFL. On page 84 of the E-P5 manual it shows setting the S-AF to mode 1 and then with a half press of the shutter I should lock both. At least that is the way I read it. My camera is setup the same as the screen shot in the manual, IE default. But I cannot see what mode 1, 2 & 3 are or how you set them. From what I can see in the manual the modes are the shooting modes on the top dial. Can't find anything that relates to 1, 2 or 3.

I must be missing something really easy here. When I press the shutter down half way the lock icon does not show up bottom left like in the camera manual screen display [page 23]

Tried both position on the toggle switch on the back, no difference there either.

Regards

6. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    @retiredfromlife@retiredfromlife Enhanced menu (cogwheels) -> A (AF/MF) -> AEL/AFL -> S-AF -> mode1 - for C-AF and MF, choose as well.

It's true that "AEL" isn't displayed when using the shutter half-press, but it works.

M.

7. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Unfortunately I am afraid that right now the only Olympus camera that allows exposure lock in spot metering at focus point is the PEN F.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    A couple of thing for clarification what are the modes 1, 2 & 3 ? as the only time I have seem modes in the manual is on the page for the AEL/AFL lock and the mode dial on the top. The manual from what I have seen does not discuss what the three modes are. It may be there but cannot find it via the index.

And does the AEL symbol show is some modes as the manual shows a picture of it.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

9. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    It's best not to confuse modes of operation (a dedicated term) as present on the Mode Dial with the more general notion of "modes" as used in the settings - the term just denotes different behaviours in a very general manner.

As to what's what, I suggest actually toggling the modes in your menu and using the "INFO" button if something's unclear - it's a bit tedious to list everything here when it's displayed in full in the menu. To sum it up, the modes define the behaviour of shutter half-press, shutter full-press and the AEL/AFL button in one go. FYI, I chose mode1 for S-AF, mode2 for C-AF and mode1 for MF, but if that's suitable for you is highly dependend on your preferences, so I suggest choosing your own setup.

I really don't know why the AEL symbol is sometimes omitted even if the exposure lock is actually engaged - I think it can be considered inconsistent. That said, as long as you know how your camera behaves, it's not a big problem - I'm actually glad that the AEL symbol is reserved for the AEL/AFL button because the symbol tells me that I've actually engaged AE lock/hold. Other brands have made a different choice - on my Nikons, the AEL symbol is displayed whenever exposure is locked, regardless of the manner that's achieved.

M.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The earlier DSLR models (thinking of E30 here) did allow tying spot metering with the Focus Point & I was surprised when they didn't include that in the MicroFT models, however they have done it in the Stylus 1 (& 1s) though, so it is good to see they have finally added it to a MFT model now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    This screams "firmware update", really - especially if it means you *can* couple the points, not *have to*.

M.

12. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I think I was reading the manual a bit too literally. Over the weekend I will take some shots to try and sort it out, but you put me on the right track.

Regards

13. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Inside the histogram there is a smaller green histogram that is relative only to the focus box area. I find it too small to be usable and I do not use the histogram much (I prefer highlight&shadows) but it's there.

Then if you go in the E menu there is an "AEL metering" item to decide what kind of metering is done when the AEL button is pressed. So you may point it on the face, read and lock it there and compensate by a standard amount, or lock it on middle gray, etc. This does not solve your problem, but may save you from enabling spot metering back and forth if you use AEL only for complex situations.

But I feel that most of these things are something from the past: with the EVF, clipping warnings, live histogram, high/low metering and RAW there is much less need for spot metering. Except maybe for high contrast situations that can trick the eyes too.

14. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Thanks for the information. I will try to give that a go.
    What got me thinking about this in the first instance was trying to photograph one of the cats, pure white and always hard to see detail in the hair especially in strong light.

Regards