1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can you lock AE with half-pressing the shutter release button?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by New Daddy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    It looks like the autofocus (AF) and auto-exposure (AE) and decoupled by default in Panasonic. When you half-press the shutter release button, the AF is locked (unless you turn on the AF-ON option), but the AE is not locked. Is there an option to lock the AE too, when you half-press the shutter release button?

[I understand that using the AF-Lock/AE-Lock button can serve my purpose, but I'd still like to know if I can lock AE with the shutter release button.]

2. harryz

harryz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Igor
    Never heard about this problem before. Restore your camera settings to default. If does not help return your camera.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I don't think you read my OP. AE does not lock with half-pressing the shutter release button by default. My GX7 is brand-new out of the box, and it still doesn't. Does your Panasonic - assuming you have one - lock AE when you half-press the shutter release? Does it really lock, in the sense the when you half-press the shutter and change the frame, the exposure setting does not change?

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    By default my three Panasonics lock autofocus on half-press, and require the AELock button to lock exposure.
    They all have this button, so I guess that's fine : the button is configurable in the menu to lock Exposure or AF or both : potentially a solution?

My Olympuses have a menu option to choose to lock both AF and exposure with a half-press if required : I cannot find a similar option in my Panasonic menus.
    OP maybe out of luck if that's what you really want.

5. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    On mine with stock settings regarding AF and AE, they both lock as long as the shutter button is held half pressed. Do you want to be able to half press the button, release and have it lock exposure?

6. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    (1) Which body do you have?

(2) No. That can be accomplished with the AE-Lock/AF-Lock button. I'd like to lock AF/AE very quickly with half-press of the shutter button, recompose and shoot, in quick successions.

7. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    GX7 but I'm fairly certain my now-sold GX1 behaved the same way. Half press and hold locks focus (in AFS) and exposure. Recompose all you want.

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    GX7 and GX1 will both focus at half shutter press, and keep that focus after release (assuming the GX7 is not set to start focusing automatically when the camera is still), but both will refocus when you push the shutter button again unless you have the AF/AE lock set to either AF or AF/AE. In order to hold focus with the shutter release, you have to keep the shutter half pressed. The GX7 comes from the factory with AF/AE hold set to off, so unless you want to have to keep the lock button pushed to lock it, set the AF/AE hold to on.

9. harryz

harryz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Igor
    Believe me I did.
    I have 3 Panasonics. And answer for all your questions is yes.

10. harryz

harryz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Igor
    It's very strange if panasonic has changed this pattern. For slrs it's very common to use central point and half pressed shutter button for AF and AE and then change composition.
    Actualy camera changes LCD brightness may be this thing confuses you.

11. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I go by the shutter speed and aperture number displayed on the EVF or LCD.
    Even after half-pressing the shutter release, you can see either the shutter speed or aperture swing if you change the composition. The AE clearly doesn't lock with half-pressing the shutter release, and there is no option to have AE locked with half-pressing the shutter release like Olympus (or many other systems).

12. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    What body are you using? My GX7 holds the aperture, ISO, and shutter speed if I half press the shutter button and recompose.

13. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Also GX7. I'm at work and I don't have the camera with me. Let me double check when I get home.

14. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I have to admit that at first I thought you were missing some obscure custom menu choice. But, I can find nothing in the advanced manual about locking exposure with a half press of the shutter button. This makes me think that the camera does it in PAS modes, but maybe not scenes or imodes or whatever the GX7 has for those kinds of features. My G6 doesn't talk about it locking with a half-press, but it does lock it.

I did find that in A mode, with iISO, the shutter speed was floating, but not consistently and not in a way one would expect. For example, point it at a dark corner, half press and get 5.6, 1/20. Then with the shutter still half-pressed, pan to a window and it doesn't change. BUT, start by pointing at the window and get 1/60 - pan around and it flips between 1/60 and 1/125 almost randomly. I guess it is a good thing I never use iISO.

If yours is not locking, you'll need to tell us exactly what your settings/mode are.

15. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    This is a good point. I pretty much only ever shoot in A or M mode. In A, it definitely locks exposure with a half press.

16. nikonian

nikonian New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2014
    Do you know if there is anyway to disable the locking of exposure with the half-press of the shutter?

17. darzur

darzur Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    Darek
    I'm facing same problem now. Does anybody solved this issue? It's very annoying to have AE-Lock with half-press and I'm looking how to disable it.