Can you get rid of the "lens locked" message with collapsible lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, May 28, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Hi guys,

This thing was bothering me all night last night shooting. When I'm not using my 9-18, I collapse it. However, as soon as I do that (and the camera isn't turned off), I get the annoying "Lens is locked, please extend" message.

Is there any way to get rid of this message? It's just wasting my battery by keeping the LCD/EVF active...I really don't want to be forced to turn my camera on/off every time I collapse the lens.
  2. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Camera will go into standby mode in a few seconds and screen shuts off. I don't think a few pixels active for 20 seconds or so is going to affect your battery much at all.

3. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    You can leave the lens extended. There's no rule that says because it is collapsible that it need be collapsed.
  4. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I think its there for the fact some users will forget to unlock the lens and think their camera is not working when they go and try to shoot.
  5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Yeah, I have it set up so the camera will go to standby/sleep mode as quickly as the menu options will allow (the shortest to sleep time is 1 minute), but still, if it's possible, I'd like to get rid of that message altogether. an LCD's power consumption dependent on how many pixels are used? I thought if they were on they used roughly the same amount of power regardless of what was being displayed...was I wrong?

I know I can, but I don't want to. I like carrying it collapsed for many reasons...makes it less noticeable, harder to bump and less likely to get dirt, dust, moisture, etc into the lens.

Yeah, I know what it's there for, but I don't need it so I want to get rid of it if possible. :)
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I don't think it's LCD, but OLED. These have no backlight so only only consume power when displaying non black content.