Can you flash North American gx7/g7/lx100 with euro firmware?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sgreszcz, Jun 4, 2015.

1. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Is it possible to swap firmware between PAL and NTSC cameras on the gx7/g7/lx100?
  2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

No such thing as Euro firmware. The country setting is written to the hardware - firmware updates do not determine PAL / NTSC
  3. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for that. I'm sure there is no technical reason to set pal/ntsc in hardware. A shame really that Panasonic (and Sony) don't offer more world cameras...
  4. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    I thought most modern TVs have both PAL and NTSC formats.
  5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

World Wide Warranty costs more money to support. You can probably thank the over competitive US price market for making that decision. My Toyota's warranty would not be honored in another country, nor are foreign pharmaceuticals legally available in the US. Look at some of the insane laws California has that require specially built products for the CA market. In Europe a camcorder is taxed at a higher rate than a still camera, which is why you usually have the 29M:59SEC recording limitation on some products. Unfortunately its not a "universal world" yet!
  6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Bold for emphasis on the part that I find laughable. If we look at medical opiates where the vast majority are sourced from crops in India and Turkey with the balance being split between Australia and the UK. Another example would be Tamiflu can be made synthetically however it's not cost efficient and thus it's produced from Star Anise generally grown in Vietnam. These are the first few hundred examples (if you count all of the different types of opiates), it's completely ignoring that GSK or Teva or Novartis or Sanofi Aventis are not American companies at all and do not manufacture all of their medications in America.

Many of the examples I can think of are produced in India, they may be combined with binders to become a pill in America thus they may get an "made in the USA" tag, however the country of origin is always going to point to where the original active pharmaceutical ingredient was made unless further synthesis has been carried out significantly changing the action of the medication.

Also completely ignoring the fact that "foreign pharmaceuticals" would include a huge amount of medications if you mean pharmaceuticals which were discovered in a different country (do you take Aspirin?).