Can you convince me to replace 14-42 with 14-45?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jair, Aug 14, 2012.

1. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    Not long ago I bought pany 14-42 to go with my GF2. Now there is a guy that sells the 14-45 for what I can get for the 14-42 + 40 euro on top. I am wondering if all the trouble to make the switch is worth it:

- i need to travel 2 hours to his place in each direction
    - need to post my 14-42 for sale, deal with potential customers etc, which is always a hassle
    - my 14-42 is basically new, while the 14-45 might be few years old
    - i am not sure in the end it is worth it

From everything I read I am almost sure I won't be noticing visible difference between the two - I am not a pixel peeper and as I am still a beginner there is a high chance that my pics will have other more pressing issues than the small IQ difference between the two lenses.

I think I even consider it just for the warm fuzzy feeling of having "the best kit lens". The build quality and the IS switch are nice to have too as I plan my next body to be Olympus...

So, would you make the change if you were in my place?

2. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

I did. It cost me more than 40 euros and I haven't regretted it for a second. The 14-42mm isn't a bad lens, but the 14-45mm is one of the best kit lenses you will ever find.

I did a careful comparison of the two lenses before selling the 14-42mm that came with my G3. Not only is the 14-45mm significantly sharper, it is also very well made with a metal mount.