1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can you connect a sling strap to the camera lug?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by manju69, Dec 28, 2011.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi. I want to make my own sling strap, using 25mm webbing and a Black Rapid connect R2 fitting. This usually connects to the tripod mount screw but I really wanted to leave that free. Can you simply clip the connect R2 onto the camera lug on one side and hang it by that? has anyone connected their BR strap to the lug, not the tripod mount? Thanks in advance.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    You can, although you may need a keyring to make it work. But it can sometimes interfere with the operation of the camera, depending on how it all fits together and how you hold the camera.

-Ray

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Probably not. That Black Rapid fitting is pretty big and the holes in strap lugs are usually pretty small. Even if you could attach it directly, it would be in the way as you tried to hold the camera.

What I do is to attach some kind of pigtail to the lug, long enough that it gets the strap hardware below the camera body. Something like this:

IMG_20111227_125133.

This example has a sleeve for attaching a pushbutton rifle sling swivel a la Luma Loop. In your case I'd suggest using two or three strands of light nylon cord threaded through the lug, braided for about 3", and then attached to a small ring. The Black Rapid connector would then connect to the ring, leaving it hanging out of the way.

4. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks for these tips guys, very helpful with my design...i'll think about some kind of "thing" between the sling fitting and the camera.

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Another thing you might consider is buying one or two Luma pigtails: Luma Labs — Lanyard (2nd Generation) and using them with rifle sling swivels: UNCLE MIKE'S QD 100 SLING SWIVEL - Brownells

I have a wrist strap, a neck strap, and a sling/glide strap that all use this system and I find it very handy to be able to switch between the options depending on what I am doing.

Note: The rifle bases are kind of a PITA to use because they are very shallow and there is not room for a knot inside the little base tube. Luma has tooled their own, longer, bases. Unless you have machine tools in your shop the Luma pigtails are probably a better choice.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    This how I felt. I prefer the sling strap connected to the tripod mount instead.

7. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    If using an RC2 type plate, you can use the BR FastenR-T1 to use your sling while still being able to mount on a tripod...

8. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe