1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can you change the focal point in the movie mode of GX7?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by New Daddy, Nov 6, 2013.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Can you change the focal point in the movie mode of GX7? E-M1 can do it, and I think it's a really cool feature. https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?...180#post550180

I always thought the Pannys have a leg up on the Olys when it comes to the movie mode. If GX7 does not have this feature that E-M1 has, it will make my upgrade decision more difficult.

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I know this is an old post but if anyone is still interested: yes, you can change the focal point. The focal point is changed by using the touch screen and pressing the point that you want to be in focus. I've been trying to use my GX-7 to shoot videos and the quality is really nice, I just wish that Panasonic would enable the IBIS for video use. I use an Olympus 17mm f/1.8 and an Olympus 45mm f/1.8, which are both great lenses, however I struggle to get steady hand-held shots.

3. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Thanks for the report.

I've had my GX7 for a while, but I still haven't figured out how to change focus in MF mode with touch screen during video shooting. Or did you mean that the focal point changes in the AF mode during video shooting? (Yes, I confirm that that is possible.)

As a rule, I set the MF on during video shooting to prevent the camera from hunting too much and the focus point being hijacked by someone intruding the scene. But when I want to change focus point - for pull-back effect for example - I want to be able to use the touch screen rather than the focus barrel, if I'm using a dedicated m4/3 lens. (There is no technological barrier for this, I think)

4. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

With my 45mm the nearest I can do is double press to change the focus point and then press the [AF] button on the screen, this then focuses the lens on the new focus point. I did notice that the V1.2 firmware for the GX-7 includes the ability to manually focus the new 12-32mm lens, this is done using touch screen buttons. I don't think this option is available for lenses with a focus ring though.