can wrong flash damage the camera?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by QualityBuiltIn, Jan 1, 2011.

1. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I hardly ever use flash so don't want to fork out for the FL14. I do however have an old Cobra multi-dedicated flash from my Canon SLR (film) days and it has an Olympus setting. I vaguely remember being told years ago that putting the wrong flash on a camera could "fry the electronics of the camera".

Is this true? Or am I safe to occasionally use my old unit?

Cheers,

QBI

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have heard that the trigger voltage is too high on some older units, and that may indeed result in frying the camera.

I would suggest googling to see the compatibility and trigger voltage of your unit. It seems all modern cameras use the lower voltage, so if it's safe for, say, an E620, it will be safe on your camera.

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As already said, some older flashes have rather high trigger voltages that have and can damage newer cameras. Many newer digital cameras have circuits that protect the camera built in but its difficult to know for sure.

This webpage has some measurements.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

You can use Wein Safe sync to protect the camera

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/245292-REG/Wein_W990560_Safe_Sync_Hot_Shoe_to.html

As it cost as much as some older flashes it is often not economical unless there is a specific need for a specific flash.

4. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks very much. The Cobra flash I have is obviously very old - so old its not listed. However it looks like the E-P1 is safe up to 6.5v Trigger Voltage.
    Also looks like Nissin and Metz make sub-£100 flash units that would be more than adequate for my needs.