Can we use the "newer" Nikon/Canon, etc lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by atrac7, Jan 25, 2011.

1. atrac7

atrac7 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011
    I read a lot about us using "legacy" lenses for our MFT cameras...question is, what about the current lenses out there for Nikon (or other brands)? Are there limitations with using such lenses or is it really just open game for our cameras as long as we have the proper adapter?

Also, more specifically for those who know Nikon, how many variations of mounts do their lenses use? I have one Nikon adapter that is meant for their bayonet or "F" series lenses. I DO know that the "G" series lenses require a different mount.

Thanks all,

2. Kade.Sirin

Kade.Sirin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2010
    Las Vegas
    The issue with more modern lenses is that they don't have any physical adjustment for the aperture.

With modern glass, you'll be shooting wide open.
  3. atrac7

atrac7 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011 most (modern) do not have a the physical aperture ring.

Is this pretty much the norm with all of the newer type lenses? Or are there some glass out there that still utilize a physical aperture ring? (in terms of newer lenses)
  4. appling

appling Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2010
    toronto, canada
    well Kipon just released a EOS to m43 adapter with built-in 14 aperture blades, so it is possible to use EF lens now
  5. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Well with expensive adapters yes, I know there is a KA- emulation micro 4/3 adapter, aparently there is an eos one as well. Why everyone is prefering legacy lenses is the fact that it is more convenient to adapt. ALL legacy lenses have an aperture ring hence they can work more or less independently from the camera. Modern lenses are on the other hand more electronic based so you need to fool the electronics before you get anywhere hence the useability is more restricted or the adapter is more expensive.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    You can buy lovely legacy lenses that work perfectly well on m4/3 bodies for very little money, where the only alternative to use that lens is on an old film camera. You could also use expensive modern lenses that are crippled without the required electronic connection to the body, where the alternative is to use those same lenses on modern digital cameras that are at least as good as your m4/3 camera and give you aperture control, autofocus, etc.
  7. iliakoltsov

Aug 7, 2010
    LuckyPenguin i totally agree with you concerning the price of legacy lenses as opposed to more modern ones. Some legacy lenses can be found for less than a coffee in starbucks and they are more than decent.
  8. capt3450

capt3450 New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2010
    Yep, you can use (sort of) all the new Canon (EF) and Nikon G lenses as long as you acquire a right adapter, they are pricey but work. For Canon's lens you may need to have a Canon body to start with, since their lens need aperture initializing to start with.

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have you used one yet? I'd like to hear some input from a user.

There's a big difference between an aperture diaphragm (in lens) and simply placing an adjustable opening behind the rear element. Without using one myself, I would guess the later would simply act more as a "mask" of sorts. You'd probably have better results from placing the aperture diaphragm in front of the front element.... much like the earlier versions of the lensbaby (magnetic washers).

In general, EOS/EF lenses are tough to use because there is no way to adjust the electronic in-lens aperture diaphragm. I heard you can attach the lens to an EOS body, stop down the lens (DOF preview) and then remove the lens from camera. The aperture diaphragm will stay stopped down but that means you are stuck at that aperture. Not really practical.

That aside, most of the modern lenses are not damped for easy manual focus either.
  10. atrac7

atrac7 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011
    Thanks for all your input guys

AT the moment I am fine with my basic adapter for Nikon--currently have the 50mm 1.8, 105mm (2.5 or 2.8, can't remember) and 28mm 2.8 to keep me busy
  11. iliakoltsov

Aug 7, 2010
    I used to be in Pentax before, I looked at this problem once i moved to M4/3 the rule is simple:

EVERYTHING before FAJ lenses are compatible with M4/3 standard PK mount adapter.

Now AFTER FAJ and INCLUDING FAJ lenses you need a KA adapter (expensive and I do not know if it works well)

Canon switched to electronic aperture pretty much at the start of the EF mount. So i do not know how to mount it as i never owned a canon.

Nikon i have personnaly no idea.