1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can we sell prints to each other ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys
    As most of us are aware about theonlinephotographer's Ctein is selling online prints of pics taken with MFT camera. I have an idea:smile:
    There are so many gorgeous pics on this forum and if we could also sell our prints here then that will be wonderful. We can support each other to buy some gear and share our talent. Believe me many of our own shots are much better the Ctein .Have ur say please :smile::smile:
    We can ask Amin if its possible to create a separate gallery ' Prints for Sale'
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  2. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Not a bad idea at all. I've been asked a few times if I'd sell a photo on this forum but never thought about an actual seperate topic for just that. I do think I would rather buy a raw file or jpeg file instead of trusting someone to use same printing qualities I would like to see on my walls though!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks..
    Thats even more easy .We can sell a Raw Or JPEG fle but there is a risk if someone can print 100 prints of ur file and sell it?lol
    :smile::smile:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great idea, Bhupinder. Let's wait for some more feedback in this thread. Also, have a look at GetDPI which has a forum like this so you can see how it works in practice.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 2
  5. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I think it's a great idea. Personally speaking, although I don't believe I would necessarily purchase a photo, I would love to look at the photos. I feel that more photos on this site would only help to serve its members further...for the buyer, seller, and the on-looker.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think it's a great idea. I assume we are talking physical orunts and not sending a file for the buyer to print right?

• Like Like x 1
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think it's a good idea. Are we talking digital copies or actual printed ones? Or both?

8. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I like the idea of prints, being sent a file, or sending a file isn't as unique/gratifying in my opinion.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree. I'd be more interested in selling prints

10. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    The shots may be better than Ctein but not sure that the actual prints will be better.

That's what you are paying for. The reason the TOP can sell prints cheaper, is that they have a built in audience that buys prints, so you have an economies of scale.

11. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I would do prints too but only if there was a way to insure what you see on screen gets transferred to paper as had hoped!

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That is an incredibly low price for a high quality print. Again, I'd encourage everyone to look at GetDPI's forum for an example of how it might work here: Gallery Member Prints For Sale - The GetDPI Photography Forums

GetDPI charges for people to be Gallery Members, and those people can sell prints. I wouldn't charge here for that. Otherwise I imagine our forum would look a lot like theirs.

13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    just thinking off the top of my head.... how about a print trade gallery as a first step... we agree some simple parameters such as print size and then simply trade prints... no money involved - each pays the postage to the other...which should work out the same for both ends.

K

• Like Like x 1
  14. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Very interesting concept at GetDPI. I had no idea there were those sorts of opportunities.

Of course I would need a bigger place to live to store additional artwork..

15. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    I'd be really interested in this.

Steve

GH2, 14-42, 14, 20, zuiko 50 f1.8

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think a lot of people would be interested to sell but fewer interested to buy. Kevin's idea of a trade is good, but it doesn't necessarily have to be one way or another. One person may want to sell a print, another may want to trade, and another may be willing to sell a digital version.

My only thing is that I don't want people to get into arguments about not getting what they paid for, don't want to have prints for sale posts dominate the recent threads list, etc. If we can work out the details so it just, I'm definitely open to this.

17. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm interested in this, both selling or trading.

18. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    my idea behind the trade concept is that it might encourage some of us...myself included to get more into printing...maybe as a step towards offering selling prints eventually... the trade idea would allow the individual to better gauge their printing skills by seeing others work and hopefully then exchange information with each other and the forum at large.

Personally I know I have been scared off printing because there seems to be a bit of mystique built up around the whole process, involving long and complicated techniques that are difficult to gauge without seeing actual examples

K

19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Agreed. I like the idea of a print swap. Buying/selling I think will be difficult, as there will be a lot of variability in aesthetic tastes and print quality, and it will be hard to judge these in advance. Trading is more in the spirit of fun.

DH

20. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Heck, if I had anybody even remotely interested in my pictures I send them for free!

• Like Like x 3