Can we have an "All things Leica M8/M9 thread"

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Bill,
I will have a chat with Amin.
I also feel the need to expand the forum a little.
I will get back here.
If we have enough post on this thread that shows interest, then I'll go in the back room and wrestle with the other Admins.

Rudi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't know if we need a separate section for Leica. Why not just discuss it like we did with the Fuji announcement? It's not like it's prohibited to discuss other gear...

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Rudi

from a selfish point of view I just felt that it would be nice to have all Leica M digital stuff in one place.

It is the next camera that I will buy, (maybe a used M8), but I keep looking at my bank account/retirement funds with one eye and an M9/Cron/Zeiss with the other - so I'm nearly back to "full frame"

I really enjoy M43 stuff but after using it this year it have some disadvantages, (for me), but I would like to try a Leica M digital, (I have an M6 - never gets used these days).

I enjoy photography, I'm limited in my skill and imagination, (I'm a finance guy by profession - honest!) - but I do like to use good equipment, so I make no apologises for wanting an M9 although my photography is not up to it

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Amin has a Leica M forum on seriouscompacts.com.

Leica M Forum

As this forum is u43, A Leica M forum seems out of place on it. Maybe a Leica mount lens forum makes sense, as they are popular on u43 cameras.

silverbullet

Mu-43 Veteran
Rudi

from a selfish point of view I just felt that it would be nice to have all Leica M digital stuff in one place.

It is the next camera that I will buy, (maybe a used M8), but I keep looking at my bank account/retirement funds with one eye and an M9/Cron/Zeiss with the other - so I'm nearly back to "full frame"

I really enjoy M43 stuff but after using it this year it have some disadvantages, (for me), but I would like to try a Leica M digital, (I have an M6 - never gets used these days).

I enjoy photography, I'm limited in my skill and imagination, (I'm a finance guy by profession - honest!) - but I do like to use good equipment, so I make no apologises for wanting an M9 although my photography is not up to it

Honestly, Bill,

you better should follow the LUF (Leica User Forum) or the RFF. Since more than 4 years I follow the threads over there, from the informations there it seems that the M8 and M9 are unfinished, often poorly assembled items. The small garage of Colin Chapman comes to my mind......:wink:

Having M lenses of 21, 24, 35, 50x2 and 90mm I'm too afraid to ride this horse. The lenses I see as an investment, since several months nobody can even buy cash the main lengths like 35 or 50mm.

ajramirez

Mu-43 Veteran
I see no reason why we should not have a Leica forum under "Other" or a sub-forum under "Other Systems." IMHO, what makes this site interesting is not that it is a m4/3 forum, but rather the people who have joined and participate. Since rangefinder threads in general, and Leica threads in particular, tend to generate a not insignificant amount of interest, I believe such a forum or sub-forum would be useful and interesting.

I see little benefit in keeping mu-43 strictly m4/3.

Just my two cents worth...

Regards,

Antonio

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Bernd

I am a regular viewer to the RF forum - it's good, some very knowledgeable guys etc., and lots and lots of info - but it is not the same as here
- here I'm sure we will get a different slant of Leica M digital.

I agree you do get quite a few threads pointing out basic problems with the M digitals, some of which should not have passed (German/Leica), quality control - and other problems after use - but these (probably) are not many and on the other side there are a lot of Leica (genuine) fans out there - it is always a worry when buying used - but if I lived in Wein, I would be "window shopping" at the Leica Shop and after a few days they may relieve me of some of my hard earned cash - thankfully there is not a Leica shop in Bordeaux.

used Leica lens are another story - if you buy a good one used they seem to hold their value and Leica are notorious for getting away with large price increases every year .

as we say "you pays your money and you take you chance"

Thanks, all the best

Bill

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My late-issue M8 has not given any trouble at all. I bought it used, under 400 clicks on it. 5000 clicks later in 8 months, no problems at all. Like any Digital camera, you get an infant mortality on some. And like new cameras, the first ones have growing pains. As for the design, the M9 evolved from the M8 and corrected a lot of the shortcomings. The IR issue is well documented, and was done for a reason. IR absorbing glass adds to the optical path, makes using non-retrofocus wide-angle lenses difficult.With all that stated, I have a friend, RFF member "Tightsqueeze" that used his M8 during his time in Iraq and uses his M9 in Afghanistan now. No problems with them.

As far as rapid changes on new type products, I'm happy to have an EP2 with its EVF. I've seen a number of members here post that they wish the EP1 could take one.

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi Bill, thanks for starting this thread.
Are you talking about starting a thread (like this one) or something else ? (extra menu item with direct access to Leica)
Being dutch, openminded, I'm back you !

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Bill, thanks for starting this thread.
Are you talking about starting a thread (like this one) or something else ? (extra menu item with direct access to Leica)
Being dutch, openminded, I'm back you !

Hi Herman

I just wanted somewhere distinct where we could post comments and info about Leica M digitals

Just one thread into which lots of info/images or whatever are posted

or it could be a design of what others want from the comment that they make

Cheers

Bill

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I see no reason why we should not have a Leica forum under "Other" or a sub-forum under "Other Systems."

I agree...

Keeping this forum dedicated/focused to Micro 4/3rds is what sets it apart. Adding more sub-forums for every new camera that comes out just turns it into "just another camera forum".

seriouscompacts already has a forum for Leica.... My post to a thread there has been the last for several days now.

There are also two other forums that have a wealth of Leica participation.... one of them seems tied directly to Leica directly.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Thanks Amin.....

See guys, I didn't even have to twist the bozz's arm....
Amin, if you provided me with an M9 & a 35 Cron I could really get that forum going...
hint..hint

Latest threads

Top Bottom