Can we have a separate sub-forum just for lighting?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by jambaj0e, Jul 8, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I have been frequenting Photography-on-Net, DPReview forum and Fred Miranda forum lately more so than MU-43 because they have dedicated sub-forum just on lighting.

As someone who just got the Einstein, as well as someone who has been reading and learning more and more about off-camera flash, I would love to see what M4/3 users have been doing when it comes to this subject. Even ModelMayhem has some excellent threads on lighting, particularly reverse engineering and also showing diagrams on light setups.

Let me know what you guys think.

Joe

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think it's a good idea. :) Lighting is a very extensive topic of its own, and warrants a seperate sub-section away from the rest of accessories.

3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    And under accessories, it gets lost amongst the gear talk.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I can't wait to start the "natural light" vs. strobist war.:wink:

5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    +1 for a lighting subgroup.

I for one am willing to cross the DMZ! :rolleyes:

6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    What do you guys propose?

What do you guys have in mind?

7. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
  8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I think it's an interesting idea, I've raised it with Amin and Nic. Do you folks feel that there's sufficient interest to keep it active?

9. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I think the idea is to create a spot where flash equipment, technique, images can be easily found and discussed.

As Duke (kiddingly?) suggested, many avoid flash. This aversion (at least for me) comes from the hated 'deer in headlights' look that has characterized consumer P&S flash since, well, forever.

Nevertheless, as Joe, Ned, Hera and others have shown, m4/3 can and should be in the studio - and many other places (with proper respect for those around us). (/Rant:I just wish Oly would rationalize flash for their bodies - needing to choose between EVF and flash control is just lame! How hard is it to add an X-sync jack???? /end Rant)

I'd even volunteer to search out existing threads to be included...

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    How true. ;)

11. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    +1 for that idea!

I am a newbie here on this forum but I'm always in favor of good discussions about lighting ... particularly if we all start posting photos of creative lighting setups that we've used in conjunction with our Micro 4/3 cameras.

12. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
  13. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    As a newcomer, not only to this forum, but to photography in general, a dedicated lightning sub forum would be really nice. I have tons of questions about using flash, but I'm unsure where to direct them...

/Jakob

14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Guys,

We already discussing it and it's been turned over to Amin. He's looking into it now..

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 3
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Took care of that in a flash......a pretty bright group here it seems. Can't wait to read some illuminating posts once it's set-up.:rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  16. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
  17. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    When I first started shooting with the Mu4/3, I wasn't sure I can get studio-quality or near studio-quality photos. Then I got myself an Einstein monolight. Absolutely wonderful! I would love to see other Strobe users, particularly Einsteiners =D

You really can great phenomenal shots with good lights that can rival the big boys (Canon and Nikon)

5874145994_3ef6de7cc0_b.

18. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Actually, what would be cool is if Olympus (or anyone) would come out with a cable that can plug in to the accessory port that connects to a battery grip with a hotshoe/accessory port on top of it that is then attached to a straight flash bracket that attaches to the tripod screw like this"

41zTIz5iqeL.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    • Like Like x 1
  20. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Kudos to Alan and Amin for establishing a 'Lighting' Forum.

THANK YOU! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1