1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can we focus on MFT please ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys ..
    Let me make it clear from the beginning ..
    1) This post is not about advantages or disadvantages of any particular format
    2)This post is not to invite heated and hated endless discussions how one camera or format can give you one specific look

This post is just asking members to focus on discussions about MFT gear and how you shoot with , what you shoot and share your experiences. It's inevitable that comparasion often comes in when you have different cameras but that comparasion can done from a positive angle so that we can learn from each other . I am sick of FF comparasion or look, all sort of crazy threads which are mushrooming like an obnoxious weed into this forum . Can stop this madness and have some genuine discussions rather than fighting like school kids ? I hope everyone understands what I mean .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  2. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I know what you mean but you can avoid these threads by not clicking on "show latest discussions." If you click on the m43 cameras or lenses or images forum you should find only m43 discussion.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    This post appears inherently schizophrenic. It is a call for the M43 forum to discuss matters related to M43. Sensible enough.

However it comes from a guy who has started 2 threads in the past 3 weeks entitled....

'Fuji flu is spreading fast'
    'Leaving your comfort zone and trying something different'

There are meds available.

• Like Like x 13
  4. Bhupinder2002

Lol I knew someone will bring this up but I never started any comparasion threads . I am just requesting people to focus on healthy discussions and mainly related to MFT gear . I hope it's not too much to ask ?

5. Bhupinder2002

Thanks a lot my friend , I am aware of that but that is not what I am requesting . This forum is fast becoming like DPR and recent discussions are about anything but MFT . I agree we can have discussion about anything but those threads often become a war zone .

6. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    My opinion differs from the OP. There are many experienced photographers here that I follow with interest. If they choose to highlight a deficiency with M43 cameras versus another format, than I am interested in their comments.

This can be done maturely and without provoking others. Some move to different systems for valid reasons. When these reasons are listed, I take note. I use M43, but I am not a loyalist that would not change systems if there was another format that suited my needs better.

What I choose to ignore are posts indicating blind faith and loyalty in a certain brand or company, with no basis of fact. The facts are that M43 is not the be all and end all of camera systems. With due respect to the OP, this thread and others that he has started are part of the reason that this forum is changing tone.

• Like Like x 6
  7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Sorry Bhu my friend, but I love talking about full frame (or even DX glass for that matter) glass adapted to m43.

Some of the fullframe discussions are natural I think. Some photogs may not fully understand what the pro's and con's are for cropped sensors. Its natural that some of these discussions are rehashed every so often.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bhupinder2002

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bhupinder2002

I fully agree but we can keep them healthy and constructive rather than negative and destructive .

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Bhupinder and others: I think most of us can agree with that while this is a MFT site, we don't want to restrict all discussion to MFTs. However, our site TOS is clear that discussion should be nice, polite, and free of repetitive argumentation/trolling.

If someone's purpose for being a MFT site is to beat the "FF is better" drum, that definitely qualifies as trolling, and we can benefit from your help in reporting such behavior. In general, if you think someone is being rude/destructive, definitely report it, and the mod team will look into it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I'm the one who started the "full frame look" thread and it should be obvious it was about m43 . . . that's why I posted it in here. How real is the "look" and, if it exists, how close can we get with m43. Maybe I should have made that connection more explicit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    No, it was pretty explicit. I thoroughly enjoyed that conversation, and comparisons are natural and completely on topic. I was seriously considering getting a FF camera, and liked reading what people thought about the benefits. I learned that while there are some real benefits, carrying a camera and lens system that weighs a good bit more then twice my mft system is not worth those benefits.

I definitely agree that the fan-boy(/girl), obviously biased conversations ive seen on here in the past couple of days are obnoxious for three reasons.

1. No body learns anything of use from them except for whose comments to ignore.
    2. If a person is that biased toward their gear, they are not going to change there mind, even if you present them with empirical irrefutable evidence that something is better.
    3. Panasonic is clearly better so why even argue about it anymore. :biggrin:

(Before anyone jumps on me, that last reason is clearly sarcastic. Two of my three lenses are oly, and they are both fantastically priced and awesome quality, and if i werent looking to reduce the size of my kit, the e-m5 would be my next body)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bhupinder2002

Hi Mellow
    There is nothing wrong with ur thread at all . I am concerned about endless and useless discussion which doesnt end in a happy note. I didnt say we shouldnt talk about anything but MFT .There were some nice replies and beautiful pics in that thread. My concern is that we are discussing or focussing more on everything else rather than MFT .Now FF look IMHO is when a FF user looks at ur MFT/mirrorless/P&S or APS-C DSLR raises his eye brows and gives u a different LOOK .. thats FF look:wink:

14. Bhupinder2002

:2thumbs:

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Perhaps the title of this thread should have been,"Can we focus on being more civil?" It is normal for thread to go slightly off-topic (emphasis on the word "slightly"). What gives me pause is the tone that is often used in specific posts. Perhaps this is a written style of a person's casual conversation voice? But as we are on the web, and only have use of a limited range of emoticons, I find it important to go the extra mile, give folks the benefit of the doubt, and politely reply or ask for clarification when you disagree with something that somebody has posted. Nobody appreciates a bull in a china shop, even if they are right.

--Ken

• Like Like x 4
  16. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Posts complaining about folks posting complaints .... or "I'm leaving" posts. Might as well read twitter feeds.

17. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I came here not for MFT but for m43 talk. There are already Nex, Fuji and other mirrorless forums available to go into detailed discussions on those formats.

That said I do not mind other MFT discussions and sometimes join in but this is not really the forum for those if people are really interested in those formats. I ever switch to Fuji I believe I should switch to the Fuji forum as my primary discussion forum.

Maybe there needs to be a generic MFT site?

• Like Like x 1
  18. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    think we need to sort out our acronyms

I thought MFT=m43 just different ways of saying micro four thirds?

K

• Like Like x 3
  19. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    I think the main issue with terminology is that mft (m43) gets confused as meaning any of the mirrorless "DSLR" style cameras when it is actually of course the panny and oly line up. Is there even a standard name for the mirrorless camera "genre" yet? Back when i got into this market, there were some discussions around that. I saw on panny's website they had "DSLM". Not sure if that has been thrown around for a while now, but I liked it.

20. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I absolutely agree that nothing about my new Samsung NX20, which is a really nice camera with a very good and affordable "kit lens" should be mentioned. Furthermore, I absolutely will not express any emotion about how much I'm looking forward to using the SAMSUNG 85mm f1.4 and 30mm f2.0 lenses with my new SAMSUNG NX20. This is neither the appropriate place nor time to discuss my SAMSUNG camera. Let me get my kettle...

• Like Like x 2