1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Can we finally put to bed "Panasonic video AF sucks" with latest cameras?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jay_M, Nov 6, 2018 at 7:23 PM.

1. Jay_M

Jay_M Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    At least for the face detect mode. I think these are pretty good examples for each body

G9

GH5

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    It's a definite improvement. Sadly it's still far behind sony, canon, Nikon and now Fuji.

• Sad Sad x 1
  3. Cagey75

Cagey75 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2017
    People only moan about the AF for video, if you never or rarely ever use video then it doesn't matter, AF is plenty fast enough on these cameras

4. Tool Crazy

Tool Crazy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2018
    actually it's on par and slightly better than Nikon Z7. There's a video of face detect C-AF on youtube that compares both side by side using a GH5 with newest firmware. It's pretty darn good on the GH5. Never once hunted.
    Reminds me, I still have to update my G9 and test for myself. So far with my current firmware, C-AF for video is very good

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    The only people I really see complaining are wannabes, hacks, YouTube shills, and the perennial malcontents! Sadly Their seems to be a lot of the before mentioned groups involved in videography.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018 at 9:51 PM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Christop82

Sep 10, 2016
    I wasn't even thinking about the new z line, but that would be a more fair comparison than to something like a d750.

7. Tool Crazy

Tool Crazy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2018
    You're thinking of stills c-af. Try comparing the contract detect af for video of any nikon dslr - it won't even be a competition to Panasonic's worst day pre firmware updates.

8. Christop82

Sep 10, 2016
    I guess I was. Does the Panasonic update also improve the stills c-af?

9. Benjamin Ibarra

Benjamin Ibarra New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2018
    Austin TX
    I find autofocus and face detection perfectly capable. My lx100 did face detection on 4K while my Fuji was way behind. We are just seeing first generation Fuji with FD for 4K while Panasonic has done since long time ago.

10. Tool Crazy

Tool Crazy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2018
    I'm not sure, it seems all the YouTube videos are focused on video af.

11. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Apparently so I was pretty damn happy with my GX8 and G9 AFC performance, so I can't definitively say its greatly improved with the firmware update. When I get home to my computer, I'll post up some examples of moving subjects against busy backgrounds.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jay_M

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    Please do share

13. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    In the mean time, here's a little primer, to set the record straight, as to what the firmware actually set out to do

14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    meanwhile professional users seldom use AF (which explains a lot)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It certainly does seem eminently usable now, and that's really all that one can hope for.

It's not perfect, and not quite as good as A7 III or Canon's Dual Pixel AF. Seems about the same as the Nikon Z cameras and Fuji X cameras, so that's good progress from Panasonic's perspective.

It's really, really heartening that they were able to make such massive improvements with the same hardware. It suggests to me that the next generation of processors (which I expect we'll see debut in a GH6 next year?) should be able to take the performance to an even greater level, getting to the point where any complaints are really just nitpicks, and certainly won't get in the way of any real-world consumer or professional use-case.

Panasonic was clearly playing the long game with their emphasis on CDAF, but it seems like it may have finally paid off for them.

Let's see if all the speculators eat their words decrying CDAF when the S1 and S1R are released. Or maybe the extra-shallow DoF of FF sensors will trip up even the fancy algorithms. Only time will tell, I guess. The only thing we know is that Panasonic M4/3 cameras are in a good place, finally.

16. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    I suspect that it may help the accuracy. Because the focus falloff is more defined, it gives the camera a better chance of guessing the area of best contrast. Which is how contrast detect AF works Speed is not an issue. They already have about the fastest in the business. Accuracy on static subjects is unparalleled. I think it might be very very good

• Like Like x 1
  17. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

I applaud Panasonic's commitment to CDAF. It is more accurate than PDAF, and their's is currently the best there is. Granted, it is not as fast as PDAF, so you need to decide what is more important for your needs.

18. Jay_M

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    EOS R vs GH5S

The winner isn't even close...

19. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    He he he. There will be some stern questions asked of some engineers after that little demo :) 

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.