Can the GX85 use an external viewfinder? Which ones work?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WaltP, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Can the GX85 use an external viewfinder?

Which ones work? Oly VF-x?

Would help a lot in bright sun and macro work.

Thanks.

2. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    Sorry but I just have to ask, what's wrong with the built in one?

3. Thanks. Got it. GX8 looking better.

4. Just not very easy to see in bright desert light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I don't think so. Of current m4/3 cameras, the GX85 has the worst viewfinder. It's a great camera, but not the one you want if you want a great viewfinder. I find the viewfinder good enough.

Honestly, I just wish there were a cheap aftermarket rubber eyecup I could put on my GX85's viewfinder. I think sealing external light and making it a bit more comfortable would help a lot. But as far as I can tell, there is no such thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    That's a bummer. Panasonic made a cheap eyecup add-on for the GX7, which as far as I know has the same EVF, albeit tiltable. It definitely helps.

7. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    In a very practical sense, in bright daylight (desert also), what you have to do is "shield/shade" the evf with your hand or large brimmed hat (or billed cap) or do both. This is what I do and while not perfect it does work for me.

One of the best EVF setups you're going to find on a camera is on the G85, or for less money a used G7 although there will be no IBIS you find on the G85 or GX85.

Good luck, Walt. I hope you find this info helpful.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    Have you tried the Panasonic app? I bought a cheap Android phone with a 5.5 inch screen to link the camera (a GX8 in my case) to the phone for "external" viewing. The phone has no sim card in it. It's just used as a viewer.

9. SeaRefractor

SeaRefractor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 26, 2017
    A little more of permanent mod than I'd like, but here's a DIY mod for the viewfinder:

I tend to stay clear of supergluing something, I tend to get it all over everything.

In addition, the HDMI is a clean output so if you wanted, a nice external HDMI monitor or even recorder could be used. There may be some HDMI viewfinders as well, but it doesn't seem to be a cheap solution outside of the one above.

10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    There are no electronic VFs, however the Olympus VF-1 optical one works... Although I had to file some plastic off the base of mine, as Olympus hotshoes take fatter mounts than Panasonic (and everybody else) does.

11. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    You could try a Clearviewer diopter lens (and shade with your hand). I used one with my GF1's hot-shoe. At around $50 it's not a big gamble.

ClearViewer home

12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    VF-2 through VF-4 work only on Olympus. They need the Accessory Port for power and electronics connection, and even the newer OMD and PEN models lack that port.