Can the E-M5 Mk2 Wifi transfer instantly?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nzdigital, Sep 10, 2015.

1. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Hi all

I haven't ever used wifi on a camera before, but I suppose I had a few 'assumptions' about how it would work?

I have been asked to present a class on portraiture at my local camera club, and I thought 'great', I've got wifi on the E-M5 Mk2, I'll be able to shoot and have the images appear on my tablet or laptop instantly - similar to shooting tethered.

Can I do that with the wifi on the E-M5 Mk2?

I also 'assumed' that I could get home from a shoot, press a 'send' button, and simply download the images from the camera to my computer (Apple iMac OSX 10.7) - wirelessly? Can it not do that either?

My brief, and rather frustrating play with the wifi and Olympus app, seemed to only work as a remote device, or to download images onto my phone. if I did it one at a time, it seemed to close the connection after every image? Is this normal?

Are there other apps I can use to get the wifi on the camera to act like a tethered device for the class I'm teaching next week? (Can the E-M5 Mk2 even be tethered?)

Hope for some help and advice before then.

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    No, it is painfully slow. I only use the app for a wireless trigger, I download images via a SC dongle to my iPad or directly to my iMac.
  3. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    If you want to shoot tethered wirelessly use an Eye-fi card or something similar. I did this on my older E-M5.

The operation is something like this:
  4. ThorEgil

ThorEgil Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    Have you tried the OI Share app on your tablet?
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    With Windows it's pretty easy to do as you imagine using a program called Camera Control, .

It's sort of hacked together however it works really well in my experience (it's also faster than Oly software for the most part).
  6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Or else use a cable to tether it to the pc (laptop) with Olympus Capture as it also works with the E-M5 Mk II.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I generally dislike cables as I always forget about them and break the socket they plug into :)

I have to admit I've never used a cable to tether with the E-M1, although I have used one for flash sync when my wireless flash triggers died. Oh boy do I hate PC sync terminals...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    I've transfered to either iPhone or iPad fairly quickly without problems (and no it doesn't shut down after 1 transfer).