Can the E-M5 Mk2 Wifi transfer instantly?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nzdigital, Sep 10, 2015.

1. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Hi all

I haven't ever used wifi on a camera before, but I suppose I had a few 'assumptions' about how it would work?

I have been asked to present a class on portraiture at my local camera club, and I thought 'great', I've got wifi on the E-M5 Mk2, I'll be able to shoot and have the images appear on my tablet or laptop instantly - similar to shooting tethered.

Can I do that with the wifi on the E-M5 Mk2?

I also 'assumed' that I could get home from a shoot, press a 'send' button, and simply download the images from the camera to my computer (Apple iMac OSX 10.7) - wirelessly? Can it not do that either?

My brief, and rather frustrating play with the wifi and Olympus app, seemed to only work as a remote device, or to download images onto my phone. if I did it one at a time, it seemed to close the connection after every image? Is this normal?

Are there other apps I can use to get the wifi on the camera to act like a tethered device for the class I'm teaching next week? (Can the E-M5 Mk2 even be tethered?)

Hope for some help and advice before then.

Thanks

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, it is painfully slow. I only use the app for a wireless trigger, I download images via a SC dongle to my iPad or directly to my iMac.

3. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    If you want to shoot tethered wirelessly use an Eye-fi card or something similar. I did this on my older E-M5.

The operation is something like this:

4. ThorEgil

ThorEgil Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Have you tried the OI Share app on your tablet?

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    With Windows it's pretty easy to do as you imagine using a program called Camera Control, https://rebs.biz/cc/en/index.html .

It's sort of hacked together however it works really well in my experience (it's also faster than Oly software for the most part).

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Or else use a cable to tether it to the pc (laptop) with Olympus Capture as it also works with the E-M5 Mk II.

• Like Like x 1
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I generally dislike cables as I always forget about them and break the socket they plug into :)

I have to admit I've never used a cable to tether with the E-M1, although I have used one for flash sync when my wireless flash triggers died. Oh boy do I hate PC sync terminals...

• Like Like x 1
  8. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I've transfered to either iPhone or iPad fairly quickly without problems (and no it doesn't shut down after 1 transfer).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.