Can`t reduce highlights or shadow in Olympus Viewer 3

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by oyvindarnoy, Jul 19, 2016.

1. oyvindarnoy

oyvindarnoy New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2016
    Hi! I have a bug with the highlight and shadow control in OV3. I can increase but not reduce. I`ve made a short video which explain the problem. I`ve reinstalled OV3 without any change. I`m using Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5. Have somebody else here the same issue?

√ėyvind, Norway

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Which camera did the photo you are trying to adjust come from? I believe (but could be mistaken) that the Shadow & Highlight control will only work in OV3 as it works on the camera. So if your camera does not support that function on the camera, it won't work in OV3. Although I think it would normally be greyed out in OV3 if your camera didn't support it at all. That you can adjust one way makes me think your camera might be an older model which started to support the function, but not both ways???

Yes, totally guessing here. Can you tell? :biggrin:

3. oyvindarnoy

oyvindarnoy New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2016
    I forgot to mention that I use an OM-D EM5 mark II, so it`s not old. Highlight and Shadow control works fine in camera.

4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Pulling up the E-M5 user manual, it says "Adjust exposure downward to make shadows darker, upward to make highlights brighter". So the way I read it, this means each side of the graph only goes one way, as your video shows. If you try and do the same thing on the shadow side, you will probably find you can dip the curve down, but not any higher that the straight line starting point. This would all be because the E-M5 uses the TruePIC VI engine. With the release of the TruePIC VII engine with models like the E-M1, you can adjust either side both ways.

For whatever reason (not sure if by choice or if technical reasons), the adjustments you can make with Olympus Viewer is restricted to what you can do in the camera. So for example, back when their first introduced art filters on their cameras, you couldn't apply them to the RAW files to any earlier cameras that didn't support art filters on the camera itself. I suspect that it may be that OV3 uses the same actual TruePIC processors in the application as in the cameras so can only apply whatever adjustments the TruePIC processor it is using can do. And also guessing it can not change to an alternate engine since those are tailored to the image sensors in the camera so switching to another processor not designed for that sensor's RAW files may give bad results.

EDIT: CRAP! Just noticed you are using the Mark II of the E-M5. Sorry about that. All the above applies to the first version. Yours does indeed use the VII version of TruePIC. So now I am not sure. If I remember I will true those adjustments tonight on my E-M1 files to see if I can adjust both ways.

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I can adjust both + and - settings with my version of OV3 (2.0.1) and have both an E-M1 and E-M10. What about tailoring your curves with Tone Curve instead (under the Edit tab)? You should be able to manipulate the curve any way you wish.

6. oyvindarnoy

oyvindarnoy New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2016
    Thanx for replies. It worked before, but well. No disaster. I will survive this:). I have Lightroom but I prefer OV3 raw processing.

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Well if you ever figure out why it is doing that, let us know. It probably is some setting, maybe in the camera, that would be nice to know (e.g. If you set this, then you can't do that kind of thing).