Can someone share raw image samples from the 100-300 II

koeki1234

New to Mu-43
Hi all,

I am currently using the 45-175mm on my g9 for some wildlife photography but I would like to get some extra reach.
I think the reach the 100-300mm provides is good for me and I also like the fact that is so small and light weight, my only concern is the sharpness of this lens as I read everywhere that the 100-400mm is much sharper.

Are there people willing to share raw photo's of wildlife taken with the 100-300mm so I can check out for myself if this lens is sharp enough for me?

Here's a RAW file taken with the Mark I version of this lens: https://gofile.io/d/MobmWL (focus on the eye of the spoonbill)

And this is the edited JPEG (downscaled by the forum, so not too well suited to judge sharpness):

P1090365.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
And another one: https://gofile.io/d/1QT2EE (focus on the eye of the male mandarin duck)

Edited JPEG:

P1080187.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

100% crop visible in this post.

Last edited:

emudojo

Mu-43 Regular
My copy of the MK1 won't focus to infinity anymore after dropping it once!, What should I do!!!!!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Also check the sample image gallery here for that lens. No RAWs will be there, but finished results will, and those member submitted sample images have always been helpful for me. I’ve owned it before, and it’s a nice lens and feels nice on the G9. The 100-400 is better, sure, but not only does it cost more, it also weighs quite a bit more.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/panasonic-100-300mm-f-4-5-6-mk-ii.95218/

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have the 100-300 mk2 and to get nice feather detail the bird needs to be in the sun for best results
For close up use it is fine for small lizards and shows the scales well, but something like hair on a spider even if it fills a large part of the frame is not so sharp. It does not resolve fine detail like say the Oly 40-150 pro, at least my copy does not.
Not a problem just something to be aware of.
I think this lens is very good value for tge money, and with the dual IS on a Panasonic body i find find it really easy to hold down to 1/50 sec at 400 without really trying.
I have used the 100-400 and it is better if you can afford it

Last edited:

emudojo

Mu-43 Regular
I dont think Panasonic repairs these so it will probably have to be replaced
You may be able to sell your copy for spares. The lens hood sbould at least be worth something
I tested it this morning it does work, focuses quick but after 50 or do meters it can't focus.... Bothers me a lot .. not even manual focus works,.... What a shame... Not sure if replacing it with the same MK2 or the 100-400 olympus. Which seems slower but sharper?

How much sharp vs the pani

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I tested it this morning it does work, focuses quick but after 50 or do meters it can't focus.... Bothers me a lot .. not even manual focus works,.... What a shame... Not sure if replacing it with the same MK2 or the 100-400 olympus. Which seems slower but sharper?

How much sharp vs the pani
I also have the oly 100-400
The oly 100-400 is sharper but for me a lot harder to use for me.
Depends on you body if you have a Panasonic i woyld stick in Panasonic lenses for the dual IS
If you have an oly body the 100-400 may be a good option, but I have to say I not bonded with mine and use my Panasonjc 100-300 most of the time. I seem to be the only one who does not really like the lens though.

I have looked through the 100-400 showcase thread and samples on Flickr multiple times. For the life of me I can't see any real advantage to images shot on the 100-400 compared to my 100-300. With the caveat of the longer reach. They each seem to be just as sharp and render similarly. They each have the same aperture at equivalent focal lengths.

Others feel differently, I know. I just haven't seen anything that makes me want to trade up.

emudojo

Mu-43 Regular
I also have the oly 100-400
The oly 100-400 is sharper but for me a lot harder to use for me.
Depends on you body if you have a Panasonic i woyld stick in Panasonic lenses for the dual IS
If you have an oly body the 100-400 may be a good option, but I have to say I not bonded with mine and use my Panasonjc 100-300 most of the time. I seem to be the only one who does not really like the lens though.
I have the Oly me1mk2 Ibis is good enough for me, I like the form factor of the Panasonic 100-300 a lot .. used are cheap at around 300 bucks.

I would love some more reach though.. but as a hobby and given the times is hard to justify a $1400 lens

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have looked through the 100-400 showcase thread and samples on Flickr multiple times. For the life of me I can't see any real advantage to images shot on the 100-400 compared to my 100-300. With the caveat of the longer reach. They each seem to be just as sharp and render similarly. They each have the same aperture at equivalent focal lengths.

Others feel differently, I know. I just haven't seen anything that makes me want to trade up.

honestly, this is also my perception. If you want a significant difference I think you need to go to either of the primes.

Krbo

Mu-43 Rookie
A week ago I recieved 100-300 II and tested it a few times on GX8.

Just 3 words: go for it!

It's a really great lens (except minimum focus distance of 1.5m) and it will shine on G9

200-600mm brand new under 500€ is a real gem (I have a friend with FF Sigma 150-600 - not an expensive one but a 2kg just for lens - you are dead within half an hour!!!)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom