Can someone explain this stupid filing system? Luminar and Lightroom users?

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Do you also keep your RAW files? Is it possible to "extract" the original RAW file from the DNG container?

Steve, at conversion, there is an option to embed the RAW file. It can be extracted later using the free Adobe DNG Converter. The extracted file is identical to the original. I have always embedded the original RAW, and have extracted quite a few.

On extraction, all the RAW files in the folder will be extracted. You cannot extract just one or two, unless you move just those files to a separate folder. Extraction is quite fast.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Steve, at conversion, there is an option to embed the RAW file. It can be extracted later using the free Adobe DNG Converter. The extracted file is identical to the original. I have always embedded the original RAW, and have extracted quite a few.

On extraction, all the RAW files in the folder will be extracted. You cannot extract just one or two, unless you move just those files to a separate folder. Extraction is quite fast.
Can you use the DNG converter as standalone program with no other adobe products installed?
Only ask as i downloaded and installed it but cant find find anything in the program list in windows or desktop so cant work out how to run it. It installed without any error messages, so not sure what went wrong

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Can you use the DNG converter as standalone program with no other adobe products installed?
Only ask as i downloaded and installed it but cant find find anything in the program list in windows or desktop so cant work out how to run it. It installed without any error messages, so not sure what went wrong
Yes, you can. If you are on a Windows machine you can see if the program is available in the Windows menu in an Adobe folder.

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom