Can someone explain the purpose of the Olympus Dot Sight EE-1?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Vulpix, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011

I'm not familiar with such an item, can someone explain to me what this is usually used for?
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    *I think*, with a long lens, point the sight at the subject in order to locate it before looking in the EVF.
  3. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    I hope this explains it´s purpose:

"The Olympus EE-1 dot sight for the OM-D E-M5 Mark II camera is designed to be used with long telephoto lenses when shooting fast moving subjects (wildlife for example) - the red dot has adjustable brightness and position and can help you frame you image faster".

When using a long telephoto lens, instead of looking through the viewfinder or the rear screen, the dot sight will provide an easy way to follow - and not to loose - your target.
    The Olympus SP-100 was the first camera to use it as a "built in" gadget:

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Moving subjects such as running animals or flying birds; they're often hard to track when using a long telephoto lens.
    I'm not sure how much this is going to help, but look in the Share Birds thread; OzRay is working on a DIY version (he ordered everything before this was announced).

5. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    San Luis Obispo
    At first I thought it was a joke, then I thought it was for Call of Duty fans :)

It seems pretty expensive just as a birds-in-flight tracking aid, but then again, bird photography ain't cheap. For anything other than in flight, I usually want single point focus to get the eye, which requires using the viewfinder anyway. It's interesting to see how hard they are pushing the wildlife angle given how marginal the equipment was for wildlife until rather recently. Here's hoping the C-AF updates are the real deal. I'm not too worried about the 300/4 being the real deal after the 12-40 and 40-150 :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    A dot sight can be a very useful tool for tracking moving objects with a long lens. It's very easy to lose the subject with the narrow angle of view that tele lenses provide and with a sight like this (properly aligned) you can keep both eyes open while tracking the subject using the red dot to keep the lens centred.
  7. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Very curious to see how the adjustment works - I guess we'll just have to wait for first tests / user experiences. The EE-1 is not an active device, right? Did Olympus state anywhere that it's limited to the new E-M5II (with no AP but with the extra hotshoe pin)? As OzRay mentions in his other posts, this needs to be adjusted with your FL - and framing. The wheels suggest you can move the crosshair X-Y - but how does that relate to what you see on the screen - is the adjustment only based on visual feedback? I.e. point the viewfinder at a static object in the distance, then adjust the dot sight to point at the same thing? Product descriptions talk about "adjustable brightness and position" - not sure if this is Y-only and brightness, or X,Y and brightness.

If this actually follows the AF point, then, erm, pat me on the buttocks and start referring to me as Charles.

Does anybody know how this works on the SP-100EE? Is this only limited to the longest FL?
  8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    While it's called a red dot sight based on the SP-100EE it's more of a holographic sight, the 'dot' actually appears some distance behind the sight - it's projected at infinity. What this means is even when you move your eye the dot will stay positioned in the same point in space, it will always point towards what the lens is centered on, the adjustment is required just like a gun sight because the sight is not looking down the barrel (the lens in this case), you need to sight it in so that it's accurate with whatever lens you're using.

I would assume the sighting in is done in the factory, however depending on the camera it's mounted to you may need to adjust it slightly.
  9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I might be interested in this even for shorter focal lengths, when shooting sports. Not only would it allow for faster framing, but also eliminates black out.

At $129, it might be worth a try and see how it fairs.

Works on any camera with a hotshoe.
  10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    The center point of all lenses should be the same; as long as one doesn't care about the distance from the lens center to the center of the sight on top of the hotshoe (a couple inches), then the sight shouldn't need to be adjusted for different focal lengths.

With guns, especially rifles, sometimes the distance from the barrel to the sight is great enough to affect the accuracy of the rifle; also shooting at different distances is tricky due to the parabola trajectory of the bullet.

Considering this sight will have little or no magnification, I don't think a couple inches off-center is going to matter. You're not going to be aiming for the eye of a rapidly moving subject.
    Note the 'couple inches' will be constant, at any focal length, as long as you sight it correctly.

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It looks cool, that's all that matters! :biggrin:
  12. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    Does the chinese alternative exists?...its only optical right?
  13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Actually, it should be useful even with fixed objects. I had the Tokina 300MM mirror lens in Central America last year and had a lot of trouble finding birds in heavy cover. It was like scanning the world through a soda straw. With the 100-300mm, too, I sometimes find myself zooming out to find a subject then zooming back in. A compact red dot sight like this one would be really handy.

RE "active device," it is battery powered. ( I'm sure the adjustments are X, Y, and brightness. Fixed brightness would not work in all situations. In that small package, dot size is probably not adjustable although that would be a nice thing. I have pistol scopes with adjustable dot size. Larger dots are nice for finding the dot in background clutter, smaller dots are more precise. For a camera, though, aiming is not as critical as it is for a competition pistol.
  14. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
  15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  16. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I spoke to an Olympus rep the other day, and according to him, they expect many non Olympus owners to buy the EE-1, so it likely works in any hotshoe.
  17. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I've ordered one, due delivery end of March (UK)

It's intended for my 75-300 but being a spectacle wearer I can see it being usefull for other lenses.
  18. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    How does this sight compensate for a subject that is 10m away vs. 100m away? Does it auto-adjust?

Otherwise, how would the sight be able to see at the same spot as the lens?
  19. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  20. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    I posted about that earlier in this thread:
    Imagine a laser from the sensor and from the sight. As long as they are parallel, there will always be the same gap betweeen (the distance from the center of the lens/sensor to the center of the sight).

If one insists on closing that gap, then it will change with changes in FL.