Can someone compare the Olympus & Panasonic JPEG engines

Yannis

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi,

I am currently a Panasonic user (GX8, GM5) and have also recently bought a used X70.
I am quite impressed by the Fuji colors (esp. Chroma film) but don't want to change my m43 just for the colors. However, the ability to shoot JPEG without having to pp the RAW files later is very convenient and time saving. Olympus is supposed to have the best JPEG engine in m43, but having only the TG5 I cannot see that. Can anyone compare Panasonic and Olympus with same photos and show the difference?

Also has anyone found some good LR presets for cinema film simulation and use with Panasonic?

Thx

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Perhaps this video can help. It compares the video of Olympus EM1II and the Lumix G9. With video, it's like JPG, 8 bit chroma subsampling for the color spectrum. With picture styles, color is all personal preference, as everyone sees colors different and has different needs for the color. Also, cameras within their brands do have different looks to their picture styles. Thus, a generalizing the look of a brand's color space or picture style will turn up different looks depending on the specific camera and lens. Technology changes with every model in most cases so does the picture style.

As this video shows, not only the difference between both cameras' color, but the many variations of what can affect the color or look of the picture style. Ambient light will have effect on the color and WB. And lenses also affect the color and look of the outcome. Although this is video, it can be applied to the 8bit JPG files, because the processing for NR, WB, and color space are the same. Raw files will have a different outcome also.

Last edited:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
you have older Panny bodies & the newer ones have better jpg output according to reviews

WT21

Super Moderator
Just my opinion -- I've never shot RAW for the colors. I shoot RAW for pushing and pulling shadows and highlights and white balance. I have profiles that get the RAW back to the jpg colors. RAW also gives me a lot more latitude for e.g. B&W conversion and HSL. This is precisely where Fuji falls down for me -- their RAW workflow. Your choice, but I would concentrate on finding 1-click color profiles for my RAW converter, before I'd choose a camera system for it's jpg colors.

I have a G85 and am very happy w/the color profile choices (Lightroom provides the same profiles as the in camera ones). I would have said GX7 and earlier - inferior to Oly. GX8 and later (and G9 better still) just as good as Oly, IMO, though I stopped using Oly at the EM5, so perhaps my info is dated.

Real Name
John
I have both a LX100 ii and the e-m1 ii. My observation is that Caucasian skin (particularly elderly) looks better out of camera on the Panasonic. In most other cases I prefer the Olympus. In both cases the differences are pretty minor. As mentioned earlier this is definitely a case where reasonable people can disagree.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Out of the box all my old Olympus cameras give nicer jpeg skin tones and blue skies than all my old Panasonic cameras.
That may seem a big statement but it's true, and out-of-the-box jpegs are important to the general market and non-post-processors.
I only own one Fuji, the old X-E1, and it gives me jpegs with similar colours to my Olympuses.
I have not tried any very recent Panasonic.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom