Can someone at photokina please stop by the laowa booth?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by bokehbenny, Sep 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bokehbenny

bokehbenny New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2016
    Ben Park
    I'd love to see a hands on of the new 7.5mm f/2.

Thanks!

2. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I just saw this.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Matt's good at hands-ons; I'll have a look and a go at the lens anyway once I'm there.

M.

4. bokehbenny

bokehbenny New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2016
    Ben Park
    THANK YOU! I just watched the video and he spends all his time with the Sony E-Mount lens :( No more than a passing mention of the 7.5. If you could take test shots (if they allow you) or just your personal thoughts on the lens (and maybe get a ballpark price on it so I know how many pennies I have to start saving up now) that would be most appreciated!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Will do - as much as I can; :mu43: is the main focus for me anyway.

M.

6. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Okay, I'm back home and indeed did play around with the Laowa 7.5mm. You'll have to wait a bit for the shots (I have to collect and pp them first - no chance of doing that today, I'm knackered), but here goes with a couple of first impressions:
    • The lens is *tiny* - smaller than the 12mm f/2.0, but it has quite a bit of heft to it because it's an all-metal lens. All in all, very nice (or rather, promising - see below).
    • It was a pre-production unit "rushed out" (according to the representative on the booth) for the show - optics are final, but finish wasn't, which is probably a good thing because the aperture ring was unmarked and the depth-of-field scale wasn't properly aligned; plus the mount was a bit loose. The focusing ring had a very nice feel to it, though - smooth, but with enough resistance to make precise focusing easy.
    • Focusing is bacisally a non-issue anyway - due to loads of depth of field.
    That's it for now; more to come.

EDIT: Forgot one thing: The aperture ring is actually clickless - no idea if this is a feature or a bug ...

M.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 8
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. bokehbenny

bokehbenny New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2016
    Ben Park
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Did the rep have any word on the price?

Thank you so much!

8. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    You're welcome :) As for price: No, but I'd be surprised if it was very expensive - it's a nice lens, but I'd put my upper limit for owning it at $500 (in my purely personal opinion, and pending some technical reviews, it should be rather cheaper). If it's suitably priced, I'll probably get one - it was a lot of fun to fiddle with, first impressions about IQ were favourable, and I particularily liked how well distortion seemed to be under control when panning. This can be nightmarish with the fish-eye 7.5mm f/3.5. And then there's the aperture ... if they can fix the mount/aperture stuff (which should be doable), they're onto a winner in my opinion.

I hope I can do some post tomorrow (or Thursday at the latest).

M.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    Probably too late now, but some shots taken with a m4/3rds body using the Laowa 15mm macro, using the shift function, would be most welcome! I'm told by the Uk importers people buy this lens for use on a m4/3rds body (adaptor needed obviously) but haven't been able to track any of the shots they have taken. Most seem to be taken on a Sony 7 FF body.

11. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    This Laowa 15mm with macro and shift function ticks a load of my wanted boxes; A decently wide angle for architecture shots, hopefully still allowing 6mm of shift. My only concern is will the 4/3rds sensor like the image striking it at an angle? - This is an issue with all sensors, regardless of their size. I gather it is slight one, when this lens used on a Sony 7 body. Needless to say, suppositions are a very poor substitute for visual proof.

12. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    what a neat lens that is, seeing it on the GM5 is good. I'm a certain buyer of this one.

13. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    It does look and sound really promising. Incredible, really, how small it is for a lens that wide and fast. If it turns out to be a decent performer without having to be stopped down too much and the price is reasonable I`ll most likely pick one up as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    A somewhat sobering piece of information: I did pp yesterday on my (very few shots) with the 7.5mm; while I think my findings are mostly pilot error (on hindsight, I really didn't take enough time with the lens), I found the images to be reasonably well corrected (distortion is strong on the borders, but not ugly, even CA of any kind is pretty low), but not very sharp. Again, it's probably me, but anyhow, I'm not satisfied enough with the shots to show them.

Sorry for that one, folks - we really need someone with the right tools to do the testing; for the time being, the only thing that I take away from this is that the lens is a bit harder to use than the Samyang 7.5mm fish-eye, and it probably pays to stop it down (which I didn't do - mainly because I wouldn't have been able to guess the aperture due to the missing markings).

All other positive (or at least hopeful) comments I made still stand, and I'm pretty sure that with better handling under better conditions, the results can be a lot better, given the obvious work that went into those optics to make them usable.

M.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1