Can Photojournalism Survive in the Instagram Era?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by twokatmew, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I miss Margaret Bourke-White :frown:.

IMNSHO no one with an i-Phone is likely to replicate her work.

(And very darned few without an i-Phone are gonna do it either :wink:).

However all is not lost; I can still buy scotch that was laid down when Churchill was Prime Minister :2thumbs:.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I think it will change just as everything else has changed. That being said, I think Samsung is ahead (so to speak) in the photojournalism game with their new "always connected" Galaxy NX :smile:

Read about it here -> FEATURES | GALAXY NX

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    ...and after that commercial break, we welcome you back to your regularly scheduled forum thread. :confused:
  4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    I am one of those naïf's who believe there will always be a place for a brilliant still image. I don't see them in the press often but that's what makes the superb ones, well, superb. Or, to borrow a frustrating, improperly used adjective from people who should know better and from people who don't, it's what makes a certain photograph awesome.
  5. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    Yes it definitely can! People will come around eventually, just like they are finally coming around to paying for music and video online. We've been through a lot as a species within the past twenty years, and it'll take time to settle in. Before anyone else links it, exhibit A: Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times Covers After the Stanley Cup Finals. We need photojournalists, and we will pay, eventually!

For further proof, where would we be without some of the images featured by Time - - never mind the other quality magazines?
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

EH.... its the same across all industries. Cost cutting at the bottom and making who is left absorb the responsibilities.

Alex Garcia is correct... In the end, the quality of work and the quality of your workforce degrades. Then again... quality might not be so important anymore.

I'm actually considering the Samsung Galaxy P&S camera.....
  8. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm surprised that Mother Jones is still around in the Instagram era.
  9. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Personally, I'd rather wait for either Sony and/or Panasonic(both of which who also make Android devices as you may know) to release one. I read a review of the NX3000 smart camera today, and high ISO wasn't it's strong point vs NEX/SLT and the current crop of m43 cameras. I already have one too many connected devices already and a connected camera like this seems like this is just another device to manage and maintain. Then again a device like this, but without the full os(just wifi and a few top apps), could make it less tasking.
  10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Interesting article, but to me the issue is less about "photojournalism" and more about the local newspaper business as a whole. The cuts are occurring not just to photography departments but across the entire newsroom. Entire newspapers are folding. Unfortunately this business is having a difficult time adapting to the internet age.

There will always be a place for great documentary photography, but I'm not sure the revenue streams for supporting this have been figured out. Something like the Boston Globe's Big Picture blog presents an interesting direction, but even there I'm not sure what the compensation structure (if any) looks like. In short, to me it's much less a "photography" problem than it is a "business" problem.
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    If you're a DXO Mark believer,
    You'll see that the NX300 actually does better in low light than the OM-D and E-PL5

-> DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Now if you're not a DXO Mark believer, then above is irrelevant :smile:
  12. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm a bit of a skeptic believer if that makes any sense.

DJ I think you really bring up a great point. Just this month PCWorld magazine went online only as not enough people were subscribing any more(I'm included here). I guess the only downfall is the lack of hard copy back issues to be nostalgic about.
  13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I'm one of those dinosaurs who doesn't even know what the hell an instagram is. Just not an "insta" kind of old crank.
  14. super8man

super8man Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    I participate in other hobby forums and in one or two in particular, folks always have a dream of striking it rich by opening: 1) slot car track store where the owner/enthusiast builds his dream track and then charges others to come and race, and 2) pinball owners that believe if they had enough machines they could charge people to come and play their machines (drop quarters). In both cases, while these are not "bad" things to think about to make money, they have been proven time and again that they are poor business plans. Period.

It may well be that "newspapers" as a concept is finally being proven to be a poor business plan in general and no amount of fancy photography or subsidizing classified ad sections are going to save it.

Just saying.