Can people recommend reliable 3rd party batteries for the GX7?

yehuda

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi.

Can people recommend reliable 3rd party batteries for the GX7 (preferably from eBay)?

Thanks all!

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
If it's the same battery as the OMD or EPM's Wasabi's have been good for me. You can get 2 batteries and a charger on Amazon for like $23-27..or ebay

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
I'd avoid ebay like the plague on this one. .A "runaway" battery with an internal short can quickly melt part of your camera and even burn the rest of it up. If you insist on 3rd party search on amazon and look at some of their deals.. Customer reviews on Power2000 were pretty good, Wasabi is on my $&#* list because one of their batteries swelled up inside a camera and took hours for me to "pry" it out without damage to the camera.

For my GX7 I got one of the last Lumix DMW BLG10 from H&B through amazon. Went to order another and they were all sold. Just checked and they have 2 more but at $69.95 plus shipping, I'm considering one of those.

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
I tend to avoid third party batteries for the same reasons as Bif stated. I purchased a set of three Lumix DMW BLG10 for my GX7. Before retirement I maintained medical devices and saw many problems with third party batteries and equipment damage due to the batteries. I am not saying that all third batteries are bad, but I am not willing to gamble with my cameras.

Benzy

Mu-43 Regular
Wasabi is on my $&#* list because one of their batteries swelled up inside a camera and took hours for me to "pry" it out without damage to the camera.

Bif, did you use the Lumix charger with the Wasabi battery? Perhaps the different chargers have difference charging endpoints that contributed to the swelling. I make sure to use just the Wasabi kit.

I have three Wasabi batteries for use with a GF6 and GX7 and they all work flawlessly and are highly reviewed. Hope yours was a dud, but I understand that once burned you'd want to stay away from Wasabi Power.

yehuda

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'll chime in with my previous experience.

Over the years I used various 3rd party batteries for different cameras such as: Olympus XZ1, Olympus OMD EM5, Panasonic GX1, Panasonic G5.

All the batteries were bought on eBay. Most were marked under the name DSTE.

I had ZERO problems with the batteries. Nada. Just wanted to know if anyone has experience with the GX7 (I'll be receiving one in a couple of days!).

So I figure I can purchase 3 DSTE batteries sold as replacement to the DMW-BLE9 for close to nothing and as the original BLE9 do work with the GX7 (alas, less wattage = less shots per charge).

Thanks!

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use Wasabi BTR-BLE9-JWP. Its the same battery as the BLG-10 that the GX7 uses, its coded so the on screen power display works, and I haven't had any issues.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Anither very satisfied Dste battery user here (dstebattery on ebay); 6 different types of cameras and batteries over the years without issue.

Icarus

Mu-43 Rookie
I've got the wasabi with charger on order from amazon. We'll see how they work out. Reviews are mostly positive...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yehuda

Mu-43 Veteran
In the end I bought 3 original Panasonic dmw_ble9 batteries from Amazon.
They were going for 13$ a piece so I figured it's a good deal and a great balance between price and playing it safe.

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app

moccaman

Mu-43 Veteran
13 bucks, damn cheap, batteries down under are silly expensive. I found a genuine GX7 battery in Korea for 25 bucks plus shipping, looks idential to the original, casework, welds, serial number on the end, was happy to get a spare for aud$35.00 delivered.

silver92b

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've used the Wasabi batteries for the EM5 and EP5 with no problems for over a year. They don't hold as much charge as the originals, but they are fine for backup. I bought and used some Halcyon batteries for the GX7 (which I sold along with the extra batteries). They worked without any problems too, except for the lower charge capacity. Again, they are fine for backup and are pretty cheap.... Of course, YMMV. Just because I had good luck, it does not mean that the batteries will not swell up, overheat, and cause your camera to catch on fire or melt into a puddle of radioactive slag....

w7ox

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Phil Wheeler
Another vote for Wasabi batteries and chargers.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
Bif, did you use the Lumix charger with the Wasabi battery? Perhaps the different chargers have difference charging endpoints that contributed to the swelling. I make sure to use just the Wasabi kit.

No. First of all that pair of batteries (Wasabi) were for an Olympus E-P3 I had. I didn't get 4 charge/use cycles out of either of them, and they were charged only in the Wasabi charger. The one swelled up and it took hours to pry it out without damaging the camera. The other (at about the same time) simply "died" and would neither power the camera nor take a charge again (in either the Wasabi charger or the Olympus charger.

The other pair of Wasibi's (with charger) was for the Lumix GH2 and while they caused no problems I never got even half the run time out of them the Lumix batteries gave, plus because they did not communicate with the camera they ran down and cause the camera to quit without warning.

But, against my better judgement I recently ordered a pair of Halcyon batteries and charger for the GX7. I've now "relearned" my lesson. Butterfly Photo (the amazon vendor) sent the wrong charger. I desperately needed the batteries (they charge in the Lumix charger and seem to work OK in the camera so far) but the vendor cannot and will not replace the charger. I can send the whole kit back for a refund but that doesn't help me. Amazon cannot do anything about it, and the world seems to be out of stock on the Lumix DMW BLG10's that are the full power batteries the GX7 takes.

The Halcyon's seem to be Power2000, I'll use them as I have to but will remove them after use, I'll not leave them in the camera and will "toss" 'em as soon as I can get genuine Lumix DMW BLG10's.

gdawg

New to Mu-43
I purchased two spare batteries for the GX seven approximately 7 months ago from Amazon including a charger and they are working out wonderfully. I have used them since and rotate between these two new ones in the original lumix battery. I find that all three batteries hold similar charge and do not find any significant discrepancy between the original battery in the new ones. The battery is labeled power 2000 DM W – BLG 10 7.2 V 1200 MAH 8.6 WH

yehuda

Mu-43 Veteran
In the end I bought 3 original Panasonic dmw_ble9 batteries from Amazon.
They were going for 13$ a piece so I figured it's a good deal and a great balance between price and playing it safe.

Update - all batteries work fine with the original charger.

gugarci

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bill
I have 2 OEM BLG-10's but i ordered a Power2000 just to have a third battery around. It should arrived today.

Bob DA

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Bob D'Amato
When I bought my GX-7, I ordered two Halcyon spare batteries with the charger kit ($21) from Amazon. With the three batteries (one original), I took a three week trip to Europe. Berlin to Istanbul, I took 2500 pics. I also had my OLY EPL-1 as a backup with five batteries. Retired, I travel a lot and I know there will be days I'll take 4-500 pictures. What I didn't know was that the battery power for the GX-7 was God-awful. I love the GX-7 camera and I will keep it. Extra batteries are cheap even when you're only getting 150 shots per charge. I went through this with my EPL-1 also, but the OLY gets 250 shots/charge. After 1500 shots/charge with my D7000, I guess I got spoiled. After I got home, I got two additional batteries from Halcyon/Amazon--$16. I don't use every power saving bit of advice, but I'm willing to carry a few batteries that are small and light. What I found out was that the original Lumix battery is no better than the Halcyons. As others, I have used Wasabi's in my EPL-1 with very good results. On another note, this was my first try at 'Travelling Light.' After a few weeks last year in China, lugging my D7000, three lenses, and assorted gear, I was looking for a change. The GX7 is so light, it's a joy using it (reminds me of my old Leica M2). I just made my first 11 x 14 today and it's very good. I will admit, however, I do use Topaz plug-ins to spruce and sharpen all shots. My favorites are Topaz Detail and Clarity. During the trip, my favorite lens was the OLY 17mm-f2.8, shooting the back alleys of Venice. The results are very, very good. Thanks for being patient --a long post.

Latest threads

Top Bottom