1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can OIShare log gps position with mobile data off?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ger2go, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Ger2go

Ger2go New to Mu-43

Sep 4, 2015
    When travelling overseas I usually turn mobile data off on my phone to avoid high roaming charges, since smartphones seem to access the Internet continually in the background. If I use OIShare GPS logging, will still pick up my location so that I can transfer it to my photos? I tried it today, and it looked like it was mapping where I walked because a squiggly line appeared, but it doesn't show me any actual locations and after transfer to my camera I am not seeing the positions it which my photos were taken. Or perhaps this is for another reason? Any advice gratefully accepted.

2. Sujiar

Sujiar Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2014
    NorCal, USA
    Suji
    If you have a phone that has a real GPS capability, such as an iPhone, you can always get location info from satellites without using cellular data. You do need an app that can use that info: I see no reason why oishare wouldn't be able to embed your GPS position...

3. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    Yes. GPS is irrelevant to mobile data. I always use O.I.Share geo logging without mobile data when I'm traveling abroad. You can log temporal and spatial coordinations sequently with GPS, but you may need internet connection to see where the logged points on downloaded map data.
    In short, you need internet to seeing, however logging and tagging are OK without internet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ger2go

Ger2go New to Mu-43

Sep 4, 2015
    Thanks so much! I hoped that was the case.