Can not transfer RAW file through panasonic imaging app?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by hazwing, Jul 25, 2015.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm currently shooting only RAW on my GM5. I never really bother with the JPG, since I usually manage my files through lightroom and the JPG just takes extra space.

The other night I was trying to use the panasonic imaging app to transfer a photo to my smartphone. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me transfer, but since coming home I realise it might be because it's a RAW file.

Any work out this without having to shoot RAW+jpg? Is there a in camera RAW converter? If so where is it located?

2. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    That's a bit odd, I only shoot RAW and the only time I tried the Image App it transferred the files fine to my iPad which got me thinking, so just tried it on my Android Smartphone and sure enough at the start of the transfer I got a message about unsupported images not being transferred and it only transferred an MP4 file already on the cameras memory file and none of the RAW files.

So from my tests it will transfer RAW files to an iOS device but not an Android device.

Perhaps others would be kind enough to try this on thier phones and tablets to confirm this.

Paul

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The Oly cameras have a way to convert a raw image to a jpeg in camera... perhaps your Pana does too.

Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    My wife has an iphone. When I tried to transfer onto her phone, it wouldn't transfer either.

5. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    I must be suffering from brain fade, I was sure the last time I checked it, it worked fine transferring RAW files to my iPad, just checked it again and sure enough RAW files will not transfer to my iPad

So either I was mistaken or Apple broke something on one of the latest software updates.

all a bit odd as as long as I persuade my iPad to accept the genuine apple camera kit as a genuine apple camera connection kit it copies and views Lumix RAW files so the iPad is able to view them just not recognise them as correct through the image transfer application.

Although given that it takes four or five attempts to get it to recognise it as genuine I still suspect apple broke something

6. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    With my GX7 and Android phone I cannot transfer raw files or perform a raw->JPEG conversion in the camera.

As a low volume shooter the extra space for raw+JPEG is not a big issue but I do not like it because I end up with 2 copies of the same photo in Lightroom. If there was an "Import only raw files" option in LR I would shoot raw+JPEG.

While on vacation I like to backup my photos to my phone and have the option of emailing an occasional JPEG. Since all the cool, young software engineers are writing phone apps I decided to get a taste of writing code for Android by writing a program that backs up raw files and extracts the embedded JPEG to a different folder so I can email it. The embedded JPEGs are not full resolution and the card has to be connected with an OTG cable but the program was not hard to write. Adding a raw to JPEG converter to the Image App would be a huge project for Panasonic but just transferring the raw files wirelessly would be easy. Once on the phone there is at least one Android app that can develop the raw files and others that can extract the embedded JPEG. Phones do not have enough processing power to do raw conversion quickly but for an occasional image you want to share before you get home they would be OK.

Panasonic probably did not add the option to import raw photos partially because it would be slow due to the large size of raw files. But the bigger problem is the phone would not be able to display the photo as an image, only list it as a file. Some people would find that confusing that it would be easier to just not allow the option of transferring raw files. I no longer own any Apple devices. Apple tends to be better at supporting image files so iPhones might be able to handle raw files or at least display the embedded JPEG.

7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Dave:

I have all of my cameras set to should raw+JPEG for exactly the same reason: I like to view, edit and mail or post full-resolution JPEGS while traveling.

In LR Preferences/General, Uncheck "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos". The jpegs will be copied into your selected folder along with the raw files, but you'll never see them when looking at your catalog.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    The Olympus App also does not transfer RAW files to android. But as Barry13 said, if you run into a problem you can edit save as a JPG in camera. I guess it makes sense that a phone doesn't support raw. I don't do it very often, which means I usually forget to set to JPG.

9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    so does anyone know if in camera RAW conversion is possible with the GM5?

10. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Another one with the same issue (GX7). I just switched to raw+jpeg(small), as sometimes it's handy to share a pic right away from the phone. When importing, I just reorder the files by their extension and delete the jpegs. Not much of a hassle, but would welcome a shortcut in camera...

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Damn it, I'm up against this problem with my GM5 right at this moment! I've even got a Surface 3 (full Windows) with me, it just has no way of talking to the camera... guess I'll need a USB card reader or use a microSD with an adapter next time.

12. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Just discovered this limitation with my new GX85. Would be nice if the app could display the camera's in-camera RAW processing interface and then transfer the file as a jpeg.

13. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Raw seems problematic with both the Oly and Panny Android apps. Right now, I just use the Oly app as a primitive remote shutter release. But this is an area where I think the camera manufactures need to step up and improve things. People WANT this sort of convenience and those looking to step up from a smartphone camera will migrate first to those cameras that come the closest to providing the photo taking experience they are used to.

I get that raw might be problematic due to file size and slow transmission times. But how about when you turn the upload linkage on, then the camera goes into an auto jpg convert mode so that the image gets converted to jpg and uploaded automatically, so you don't have to manually tell it to do so for each photo. (maybe you could even have a dedicated or programmable "save to service" button - on camera). The raw gets saved to media, but the jpg gets saved to Google Photos or whatever Apple calls their online photo storage service?

Yeah this will use up the battery faster, but the ability to change batteries (in the field, no less) is a functionality that smartphones seem to be drifting away from. So this is a positive talking point for the traditional camera manufacturers, plus why wouldn't they want to sell more batteries? Not to mention fancy high priced "charging systems" that go beyond standard chargers.

UDATE: Why not make cameras capable of a direct linkage to the phone carrier's network? In the USA, those cameras could be sold in every Verizon and AT&T store found in every mall (Those bad boys are EVERYWHERE) The carriers would be happy to have a device that would require an additional line! And that would do an end run around the camera shop's and "BigBox stores" reluctance to carry anything but Canikon.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016 at 12:07 PM
  14. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    You can do this very easily in the play menu where there is a raw processing menu. One of your choices is raw to jpeg. I use Gx8's.

15. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Well, Olympus, at least doesn't have a way to automatically convert a raw file to jpg AND send it to an online storage service like Google Photo.

16. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    On my EP5 in the Play Edit then select As JPG and either change the aspect ratio or add something harmless like red eye reduction and you have a file you can send to your phone.

17. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I've given up on it. If traveling light w/o a laptop, I just use the lightning/sd-card dongle for my Ipad. Now that most apps can edit raw files, I don't want to deal with the hassle of having multiple copies. It's a shame that Pany/Oly don't invest more into both wifi and wired tethering abilities with both smart phones/tablets and software side LightRoom/CaptureOne.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016 at 1:23 PM
  18. toxotis70

toxotis70 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    I do the same thing with my ipad.
    I have the adapter and I can transfer raw files and videos to my ipad very quickly.
    I edit them with Lightroom, so easy!

19. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    @toxotis70@toxotis70 Have you gotten to play around with the changes they did to LR mobile this week? Looks interesting so far.

20. toxotis70

toxotis70 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, it's very interesting..I also edit my videos,4k editing is faster than my desktop!