can not play back video on camera (but plays fine on computer)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wzfoto, Jul 29, 2012.

1. wzfoto

wzfoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I keep getting 'error reading card' when I try to play back videos recorded on a gf3. Some times the error message comes up half way through the videos, other times it comes up right away. I was able to download these videos onto the computer (pc) and play them without any issues. I had no trouble viewing pictures on the camera. I m curious if anyone has seen this before?

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sounds like your card is too slow - i think Class 10 is what is recommended

K

3. wzfoto

wzfoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    If the card is too slow, then shouldn't it fail to record? I would think card reading speed is usually faster than card writing speed, no?

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    agreed that reading is faster than writing.... but in recording video the card is writing an already encoded data file from a buffer...

in playing back video it has to read the file and then decode it before playing... maybe the buffer for playback is smaller or different from the recording buffer, and the card isn't fast enough to keep this buffer filled.

Just a theory... check what the handbook recommends as an acceptable speed of card.

Try reformating the card as opposed to just deleting files

Does it do it with all cards or just one card

How old is the card

you get my point .... its more likely to be a problem with the card rather than the camera

K

5. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    Is it a hacked GF3?

6. wzfoto

wzfoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Ok this is strange. I tested the same memory card again and it now plays video fine in camera. I did reformat the card but I am not sure if that was the reason. The card is a 32gb class 10, less than a month old.

The Gf3 is running a third party firmware, but the bit rate did not seem to have gone up (still in the 18mb/s range).