1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can magnets damage cameras?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by rgugler, Apr 16, 2014.

1. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

I have an old messenger style camera bag that is nice, but uses Velcro in addition to plastic snaps to secure. It is horribly noisy to open and close. I was wondering if magnets would screw up anything inside the cameras. I was going to make some magnetic closures to cover the Velcro until I can afford a bag with a better set up.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

2. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I have a messenger bag that closes with two fairly weak magnets and I haven't had a problem, its right next to my camera too. They are very week tho and I am not sure if a stronger magnet would mess anything up.

3. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Velcro and stealthy camera bag are a no no. Even the idea of velcro for a camera bag goes beyong comprehension... Get a bag with fast openners I use bilingham bag for that and it's really good.

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Strong magnets could mess up memory cards for sure. I'm not sure about cameras.

5. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

There is a plastic clip for extra security. I don't think I would super strong magnets. Going to the craft store today to see what is available locally. Would a hardware store have some if they don't?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I'd only be concerned with alternating magnetic fields. Weak static magnetic field should be fine. The transient effect as the two magnets (bag and flap) approach should be insignificant. I have a lowepro pro messenger with magnetic catch. I considered the effects and dismissed it. I'm sure lowepro did as well.

7. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Absolutely false. Flash memory is NOT affected by magnets at all. This is said as an electrical engineer that uses flash memories in designes all the time. A hard drive is affected by magnets, flash memory is not. I don't think that there is a problem using flash in an MRI scanner, which is the strongest magnetic field you're likely to encounter.

The only possible affect I can see would be on the motors, and I'd expect taht to be temporary.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    +1, plus a bit more!

9. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Have a look at Michael Faraday's lecture notes!
    (Not you jziegler)

10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I also wondered if strong magnets might affect IBIS?

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would think you would have to have some very strong magnets to hurt a camera. Especially since the camera would be off while inside the bag.

However to simply hold down straps on a bag why would you need super strong magnets? Sure you need stronger than fridge type but not rare-earth.

Another possible is to use quick release plastic clips like Fastex. They are very quiet if you go slowly, especially when opening. They would also be much more secure than any magnet.

12. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    That's an interesting question. I don't know how the IBIS is accomplished, so it's hard to say. If it's a magnetic motor, a sufficiently strong magnetic field could cause problems. But you're unliekly to encounter a strong enough field outside of an MRI scanner, and they wouldn't let you take any of your own electronic devices (or anything at all containing metal) inside of the screening room of a scanner, so it doesn't really matter in practice. Any magnet strong enough to cause any problems would be too strong to use as a closure on a bag.

13. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Adam
    Don't worry about flash media. Now, those 3 1/2 inch floppy disks for your Sony Mavica are another issue....

My only concern with magnets on a camera bag would be accidentally demagnetizing my credit/debit/transit/etc cards. Keep magnets away from your wallet and watch.

14. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Two weak magnets in close proximity - not an issue. The strength of the magnetic field falls-off in relation to the inverse square of distance, so the fairly remote camera is experiencing a fairly weak field strength.