Can it really be a whole year

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by grebeman, Sep 17, 2011.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    A whole year has passed since the last vintage bus rally replicating the old routes that used to radiate out of Kingsbridge in south Devon.

I managed to catch a small incident last year in which one of the old buses came to the rescue of a "modern" one.

There was nothing quite like that this year although passengers waiting at Slapton turn for the normal 93 service to Dartmouth were somewhat surprised to see this 66 year old veteran Bristol K6A (last years hero of the hour) come along in front of their late running bus, replicating the type of duty it performed on this very route 50-60 years ago.

The regular service bus arrived about 3 minutes later, so this is the "modern" day equivalent, although the one going the other way shortly after was a bus that was over 20 years old, signifying a breakdown of one of the more modern ones.

Slapton streets are far too narrow for these buses to get through so it is a dead end, and having turned round the old bus makes its way back to Kingsbridge.

Later a Bristol FLF6G (know as a Lowdeeka) dating from 1963 and a Bristol LWL5G dating from 1951 reproduce the duplicate type of service often required on this route during the summer months in the 1950's before private car ownership became widespread.

The real veteran of this years rally was this Bristol H5G that was new to Dartmouth in 1933, so a mere 78 years young. Here it's turning up to the village of Sherford having come from Kingsbridge.

Having turned at Sherford it now makes it way through Frogmore on route to Southpool. I had hoped it would come across Frogmore Bridge in the background but it took a back route, which actually used to be the main road when this bus served on this route in the 1930's and 1940's, hence I wasn't quite in the best position for this shot.

Here it is coming through my own village of East Charleton, my cottage is visible in the background on the left hand side of this shot.

This beautifully restored bus won the "best passenger vehicle" award in the 50th Historical Commercial Vehicle London to Brighton run this year. It is owned locally by Colin, the gentleman who is driving it, and also organises what has become a very successful local rally.

All shots taken with a Panasonic G1 and 15mm, f/4.5 Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar lens

• Like Like x 13
  2. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Hi Barrie. how times flies when you are having fun.
    Hope all well with you and take care.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Barrie,

Beautiful set, nicely captured. Love to see the antique busses rolling through the countryside.

Cheers, Alan
    • Like Like x 1
  4. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Very nice set! Btw, if you are interested in vintage British buses, you should really visit Malta sometime-- many 50 or 60 year old buses are still in regular service there

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Barrie, my only complaint is that I wish I could have been there - gone for a ride on this 78 year old veteran bus and had a drink at your local watering hole, with you!

Wonderful to see these pictures, Barrie!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. michaelfinch

michaelfinch Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Lovely pictures, Barrie. Many thanks.
    Cheers Michael
    • Like Like x 1
  7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Thanks guys, sorry I haven't been about much to pick up on your responses, much appreciated.

8. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    Very nice indeed - I used to travel to school on this sort of thing in the 60's.