Can I use Nikon SB600 with my G series camera?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by hillwalkinggirl, Jun 21, 2011.

1. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    I have a Nikon SB600 which I use with my Nikon D80. I would like to also be able to use it with my G1 and my GF1. Is there any way I can do this? I need to save some pennies so don't fancy having to buy another flash when there is a perfectly good one in the draw. Help would be appreciated please.

2. sylvesterii

sylvesterii Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    I'm in the same boat as you. Have a full range of Nikon gear. Just picked up an E-P1.

I have read that you can use an SB-600, but you will have to set the flash manually. Basically it will fire the flash, but not have any ability to account for the flash going off.

I am new to this whole micro four thirds thing though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

3. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    The camera will trigger the flash but you will not be able to use it in TTL or "automatic" on the flash. As sylvesterii said, you have to use it in FULL manual.

4. hillwalkinggirl

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    Thank you both for your replies. As I haven't got a clue how to use the flash manually it looks like I might have to save up for a TTL compatible one. A lot of people recommend the Metz. I think I might have a look at that.

5. sylvesterii

Jun 21, 2011
    Let me know what you decide. I was thinking about seeing if I could find an Olympus FL-36R, as I have heard that it pairs well, and I think can be triggered off camera wirelessly. I've also been told to make sure it is the "R" version. Though I guess I am not sure of all the cross brand compatibility of the Panasonic bodies etc. as I am new hear.

6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Before you throw in the towel and give up on manual flash, check out Strobist - especially the 'lighting 101 archive' listed in the lower right corner of the page.

Manual flash is well worth learning and gives much better control than TTL in a broader variety of circumstances. I've found it's also important for deepening understanding of how our sophisticated cameras interpret light, exposure, etc.

Finally, the E-P1 can NOT control the FL-36R (Oly uses flash coding, not wireless) - I believe that only the E-pl1,2, which have built in flash can do so.

Enjoy!

7. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I have a number of flash units. I can't get the SB 800 to work with the GF1 but I can use my SB-26 and Sunpack 30SR on it. I use them in manual mode. Shutter on the camera is set for 1/160 or lower. I set the flashes on manual mode select the aperture and ISO that I want to use. Then I match the aperture and ISO on the camera to that of the flash. The flash units will calculate the exposers so you will have not problem that way. Using a flash in manual mode is not all that difficult one you get the hang of it. For what it is worth i picked up the Sunpack for 30 dollars second hand it is extremely powerful and it is Thyristor limited to the battery live is very long. Proving you don't have to pay a lot for a pocket full of light.

8. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    I just want to give a warning if anyone is planning to use an old flash and mount it to the camera. Some older flash WILL FRY your camera do to the high voltage. There is a website that has a list of flash with the voltage of each flash. I am not at home right now so I don't have it on my bookmark.

I am also a big promoter of using the flash in manual. I like TTL but sometimes it just don't work.

9. sylvesterii

Jun 21, 2011
    I am a bit confused. I understand that the E-P1 doesn't have a pop-up flash, so it could not trigger the FL-36R off camera, but are you saying you can't even use it in the hot shoe? I thought it was fully compatible TTL with the E-P1, and could be triggered by the pop-up flash on the E-PL1/2 and GF1/2. Perhaps I am mistaken. Or by "wireless" did you think I meant through some type of RF frequency/wireless networking manner?

10. hillwalkinggirl

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    After reading quite a few reviews I'm quite impressed with the Nissin Di466 flash for 4/3. The price seems good as I can get it for about £80.