Can I use my CANON Flash and Yongnuo Trigger/Receivers with EM5?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by broncophil, Feb 17, 2014.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    i have a canon 430 EXII and yongnuo triggers i was using to fire it off camera?

can i use the same equipment with my EM5 somehow?

THanks in advance!
  2. MikeWhitten

MikeWhitten Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2012
    Not sure what triggers you have. I have a set of RF602's and they work. They can't keep up with the full sync speed of the OM-D, though. Take a look in the lighting forum for some recent testing under my username.
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Depends on the exact model of trigger but if you have the right triggers (602s or 622s should work, or if you have the newer model 603 II models) then you'll be able to trigger the 430 EX to fire.

Note that it'll be manual flash only; there's no TTL compatibility between Canon and m4/3.
  4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    If you have RF-603s, you can probably still use them, but you'll have to get an RF-603ii to act as a transmitter unit, or crack open one of the 603s and modify it so it can be used as a transmitter on the mft hotshoe.

The problem with the RF-603s is that they use a TTL pin signal to switch from Rx (receiver) to Tx (transmitter) mode. That TTL signal is on a different pin/contact on the mft hotshoe than it is on the Canon hotshoe, so you have to short two of the contacts and create a permanent transmitter unit if you're using the old RF-603s. The other upshot of this behavior is that the test button only fires if the transmitter is mounted on the camera hotshoe (PITA if you're trying to trigger lights to get a handheld light meter reading).

The RF-602s don't have these issues, since it uses separate Rx/Tx units, and the RF-603II has an OFF/Tx/RxTX mode switch so you can explicitly put it into transmit mode. The 622s can autosense correctly if they're not on a Canon hotshoe.