Can I use CANON 430exII in place of OMD "clip on" flash to trigger FL600r outdoors

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by broncophil, Mar 19, 2014.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    i dont have one me currently so i cant check, but sometimes outdoors the little clip on flash doesnt fire the FL600r.

i have a 430exII at my work somewhere, i was thinking since its not actually exposing for the flash on top of the camera, and since its stronger, maybe it will have better distanc/reliablity?

Thanks.

2. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Nope. Not at all. You could fire the 430 on camera in "dumb" mode, but the FL-600R doesn't have an optical trigger unless using Olympus's TTL system.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    US
    Eric
    If you haven't already, might try boosting the flash communication level to Mid or Hi when using the clip on flash. I have no idea how much of a difference this makes, as so far I've only played with wireless flash indoors, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Edit:

The manual refers to a slave mode (might need to be enabled in custom settings), and says "The flash can be fired remotely in sync with any flash fired by other units." Looks like this can be done with the FL-600R in Auto or Manual mode (but of course not TTL). I haven't tested this myself but will try it later tonight if I have a chance.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    This setting does not sound familiar. Where is it in the menus?

--Ken

5. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    US
    Eric
    When RC mode is enabled and the control panel is displayed, it is to the right of the Group B settings, confusingly titled "Level". The manual further clarifies that it is the "Communication light level".

• Like Like x 1
  6. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    US
    Eric
    Okay just had a chance to try it and I can confirm that the FL-600R can be triggered as an optical slave by a manual flash on camera. As mentioned previously this would not support TTL or wireless control.

• Like Like x 1
  7. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Would also recommend taping off the eTTL pins on the 430EXII, to avoid any signal cross talk on the non-sync pin/contacts, given that Canon and mft contact/pin placement is identical. These would be the four little pins in a square arrangement. The sync signal is always the one in the center of the foot's overall "square".

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mdb2

Mdb2 New to Mu-43

Nov 13, 2014
    Hi I just noticed this thread and am newbie. I may be wrong here but isn't the 430 slave only
    Kind regards mike

9. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    It's slave-only if used in a Canon wireless eTTL setup. But what's discussed here isn't that system of wireless communication, although both are light-based.

The FL-600R has a "dumb" optical slave mode--i.e., a sensor "sees" a flash burst, and then fires the flash. This will work with ANY flash--even a built-in flash on a P&S camera--so proprietary slave/master capability doesn't matter. As long as the flash will fire, it can be used as the triggering signal. And Canon's 430EX and the m4/3 hotshoe are both ISO-compliant (i.e., that contact/pin in the center of the "square" is the sync signal, the physical dimensions will fit, and the rails are always ground), so it will fire in sync if put on a m4/3 hotshoe.

However, preflashes matter, so the 430EX has to be used in M mode, and should have all its Canon wireless settings disabled.