1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Can I use a GH2 as a live feed webcam?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MegaPixelTravel, Aug 12, 2011.

1. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Wondering if there is a way to easily import the video from a GH2 into one's computer via a live (or almost live) video feed.

Don't worry about the "why" I want to do that (long complicated story about astro imaging and guiding).

2. bobbutts

bobbutts New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2011
  3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I know a guy that works for the local paper that does live feed video. I caught up with him at an event - he had a laptop that was processing video from a traditional ENG video camera and then uploading - I don't remember if he had a satellite link, a network link, or perhaps something like a 3G hotspot, but the equipment requirements were surprisingly low. Even the app that he used to manage the feed was running in a web browser.

If you're going to use a GH2, you probably need to pull the signal from the HDMI port, although I'm not sure that the GH2 sends a full 1080p signal to the HDMI while recording. You'd then need to feed that into a system that will transcode in realtime and upload - that's where the laptop comes in. A Google of something like "Live video feed service" should get you started.

Alternately, you can save to the card and then transfer from the card to the laptop for near-realtime. I'd suggest NOT saving to AVCHD because transcoding to a web-friendly codec will take time. I'd save to MPEG and have plenty of SD cards.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.