1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can I use a GH2 as a live feed webcam?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MegaPixelTravel, Aug 12, 2011.

1. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Wondering if there is a way to easily import the video from a GH2 into one's computer via a live (or almost live) video feed.

Don't worry about the "why" I want to do that (long complicated story about astro imaging and guiding).

2. bobbutts

bobbutts New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2011
  3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I know a guy that works for the local paper that does live feed video. I caught up with him at an event - he had a laptop that was processing video from a traditional ENG video camera and then uploading - I don't remember if he had a satellite link, a network link, or perhaps something like a 3G hotspot, but the equipment requirements were surprisingly low. Even the app that he used to manage the feed was running in a web browser.

If you're going to use a GH2, you probably need to pull the signal from the HDMI port, although I'm not sure that the GH2 sends a full 1080p signal to the HDMI while recording. You'd then need to feed that into a system that will transcode in realtime and upload - that's where the laptop comes in. A Google of something like "Live video feed service" should get you started.

Alternately, you can save to the card and then transfer from the card to the laptop for near-realtime. I'd suggest NOT saving to AVCHD because transcoding to a web-friendly codec will take time. I'd save to MPEG and have plenty of SD cards.