1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Can I salvage my Canon 430 ex2 at all for use with m4/3 ?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by broncophil, Mar 23, 2014.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    I have an expensive flash, for a system I no longer use.

I have a FL600r, is there any use at all for my canon 430ex2 flash in my current setup ? ?

2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I understand that your Canon flash cost you a lot of money but most of that cost was due to it being a Canon iTTL mount. You can use it in dumb (manual) mode with an optical trigger or if it has a built-in optic as slave trigger, as a secondary flash. However if you no longer have, nor plan on getting a canon body to use it with, you would be better off selling it and get what you need.

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Why not sell it to gobs of canon users out there in the world...

4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I was always kinda ticked off that Canon never included an Automatic (thyristor) mode on most of its E-TTL flashes. Then suddenly the 580EXII came with it and it was severely crippled (and prone to incorrect exposure). Even on the 1DmkIII it was kind-of a useless feature.

Forget about the fact that it's pin-similar on the hotshoe. It will not operate properly on the Oly. Even using it in Manual mode, there's a slight chance that it'll confuse the Oly electronics because of the constant digital "banter" Canon flashes have with canon bodies when attached to the camera and those data pins don't carry the same signals..

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Oh. . l agree. That's why I only suggested using it as a second flash i.e. not on the camera, but only if you need to keep it for a canon system. Otherwise I would sell it.