Can I please get some advice?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Olygirl440, Feb 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olygirl440

Olygirl440 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2017
    Upper Peninsula
    Ashlee
    I'm currently selling all of my canon gear to switch back to Olympus. I used to have an E-520 and I think E-420 back in the day with a flash unit. I sold that all to switch to Canon semi professional cameras. I have been an eye (not a close eye) on the micro 4/3 line and I want to switch back to Olympus. This is what I think I want. Do you think it's a good starting point?

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II

Panasonic H-X025 Lumix G Micro 4/3 LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25mm f/1.4

I copied and pasted that - please forgive me. I just decided to sell my gear Friday and got a buyer the same day. With what I made from my gear and my budget it's about $1200-1300. I probably won't buy any used gear to start with but I will buy used lenses in the future. Do you think that's a good choice for me? I'm not a beginner so I want to make sure that I'm still making a good choice or if I should wait and try to get a more expensive camera and lens. What do you think about that to start up? What portrait lenses do you recommend? I've been reading about them all day. I'm just stuck but would like to purchase a new camera and lens this upcoming week probably.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Welcome to the forums.

I switched to m43 from Nikon about a year and a half ago and the E-M10 (version 1) was my choice. I think it is a great camera for general photography and the improvements in mk2 are all positive.

My first two primes were the Olympus 25/1.8 and the Olympus 45/1.8. I found that the IQ of all the 25 options is very good and I liked the smaller size and got better prices on the Olympus lenses. I think that you will like the PL25/1.8, but consider both the O25/1.8 and P25/1.7 as cheaper alternatives which will leave you with more for your other lenses.

As far as portrait lenses go, in my opinion, there is little to choose between the O45/1.8 and the P42.5/1.7. But there are small differences which may matter to you. Size (the Oly is smaller) and close focusing (Panny is better) being among things to consider.

Also, maybe add some information about what you shoot. This may help people offer suggestions on whether a more expensive (fuller featured) body may be a better choice for you.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Only the Olympus e-m1 will focus those 4/3 lenses adequately.

For native m43 lenses an em10 mk ii is a fine option.

Another option would be a used E-M1 which are selling for similar prices. There are a few in the Buy and Sell section of this forum now. Some features like continuous auto focus will be better on the em1. Neither will do CAF as well as a semi-pro Canon, so that used em1 may be a better choice.

4. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Rob, based on the OP I am not sure she has any 4/3 lenses left. But if she does, I will concur on the recommendation of a used E-M1. If she shoots action and/or needs C-AF, then the E-M1 is the right choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Olygirl440

Olygirl440 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2017
    Upper Peninsula
    Ashlee
    I don't have any Olympus gear left but an old film lens I used to mount on my Olympus dslrs. I did not have much of a budget at all back then. :D
    I'm just a busy mom now and I want to take portraits of my younger son (The older one won't let me anymore). I'm still just a hobbyist. I won't be doing any action shots just portraits of him and my nephews. I'm sorry I've had Canon for several years now is this the camera you think I should purchase? My favorite camera I've ever purchased was used so I guess I could maybe consider that.

OM-D E-M1 Mark II | Olympus

Thank you for welcoming me to the board! I'm already learning a lot. Reading about lenses in another thread as well also now.

6. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Not the E-M1 markII. That just came out and is 2000 dollars. Rob and I were recommending the original E-M1 which can be found around 600 dollars. For portrait photography, I think that the E-M10 mkII should be just fine.

As dad of 3, I find that even my youngest will not let me take his pictures. So completely sympathize with you there :)

7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    The em1 mark 2 is top dog in m43 now but you may not need that much horsepower.

I was referring to a used em1 mark 1 because I thought you referenced a 4/3 lens.

The em10 mark 2 is a fine camera for general purposes. There aren't any losers in the Olympus lineup (Panasonic too).

Why did you leave Canon?

8. Olygirl440

Olygirl440 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2017
    Upper Peninsula
    Ashlee
    Thank you for the input about the Cameras. I'm learning a lot.

Honestly, the dslrs I have are so big and clunky I don't really use them anymore. I haven't used them in months and I never upgraded to a really prime quality lens. I had an 85mm 1.8 and a 50mm 1.8 (with a 40d and 50d). I also had a flash unit I hardly ever used with both systems. I started with Olympus back in 2007. My E520 was great but it did not last long - it didn't even last like 14,000 clicks. I was disappointed. I always thought I would get into photography (taking pics for people) and I never have really got into that. I sold the Canon stuff within hours of putting it up. I'm suppose to have a buyer on Monday. I'm really anxious to get a new smaller camera.
    I have also been looking at the Panasonic cameras. I'm looking to get the most bang for my back. If I don't spend $1200-1300 that would be wonderful. I do want a better lens than what I currently have. That is the most important to me.

9. Olygirl440

Olygirl440 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2017
    Upper Peninsula
    Ashlee
    After the E-520 died, I sold the 420, flash and the lenses I had. I was happy with my Canon cameras but now I just want something smaller.

Oops, I just saw the edit button. I didn't mean to double post, sorry!

10. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    To replicate your Canon kit (in focal length), you are looking at a 25mm and a 42.5/45mm lens.

Looking at Amazon, if you buy new, you are looking at $1245(+tax) for the E-M10mkII + O25/1.8 + O45/1.8. The PL25/1.4 you mentioned in your first post is $600 new and will be certainly eat up more of your budget.

Another option would be to look at a close out Panasonic G7 with the P25/1.7 + P42.5/1.7 which will come to around $1150 (+tax). You may be able to snag to a kit zoom with it too.

If you are looking to buy and new and want a DSLR form factor, these are probably your best bang for the buck choices.

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The OM-D E-M10 Mark II is actually smaller than the previous Olympus cameras you had. So is the E-M5 Mark II. Either wil be good a choice. If they feel a little small for you then you can get a grip that will make up the size difference.

The SUMMILUX 25mm f/1.4 is an excellent lens. However as @SVQuant@SVQuant pointed out, the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 or Olympus 25mm f/1.8 are also excellent. If you went with either of these you could also purchase the Panasonic 42.5 f/1.7 or Olympus 45mm f/1.8 both (25mm & 42.5/45mm) for the price of Panasonic Leica lens.

While there is a difference between the Leica 25mm f/1.4 and the other two 25mm lenses, it's not near as much as most would think. Check the Native Lens Sample Image Showcase forum to see many samples from the lenses.

And if you wanted to get one less expensive 25mm lenses, the image quality is extremely similar. And that also applies to the 42.5mm and 45mmm lenses.

Both Panasonic and Olympus have sales prices that end tonight in the US (Have no idea where the "Upper Peninsula" is) , but there will be another sale price along very shortly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Olygirl440

Olygirl440 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2017
    Upper Peninsula
    Ashlee
    I only want to start out with one lens. I just saw something about the sigma 30mm 1.4 which is $200 less than the PL25/1.4 (I copied your wording- that was much easier) Thank you! I just want the one lens I do have to be affordable but decent quality. I would get a pro one if I could afford it.
    I will check out the Panasonic G7. I vaguely read reviews and it seemed like from what I read Olympus was rated higher. But you think it's just as good? I love that about 4/3 how the focal length doubles.

13. Olygirl440

Olygirl440 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2017
    Upper Peninsula
    Ashlee

Thank you! That's where I found about the 30mm f/1.4 sigma lens. I've only found a few reviews in my brief search though. I'm too busy looking at the galleries lol. The Upper Peninsula is in Michigan. It's made up of two Peninsula's. I've met many people online who don't know about the U.P. Thank you! I have to wait until Monday to make sure the lady actually purchases my Canon gear.

14. Clint

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is supposed to be an excellent lens as well - although I have never used one.

U.P. wasn't sure as there are quite few places in the states, let alone in other countries that use upper peninsula as well. Kind of like when I was in LA, that LA being Lower Alabama.

Olympus seems to be having constant sales while Panasonic is having many. So if price is an issue, just wait it out.

Olympus also has refurbished gear they sell, Outlet Store | Olympus, Lensrental sells their used gear, Used Cameras and Camera Lenses for Sale - LensAuthority, and buying used gear through KEH, Adorama, and B&H are also very trustworthy - all have a virtual "return it for any reason". And those selling on this forum have been very reputable. I'm still prone to buy cameras brand new while buying used lenses is much less of a risk. Just food for thought.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Clint

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Just read you other post, buying Olympus cameras you'll already have knowledge about the menu system and Super Control Panel (SCP) which I think is just great. Panasonic has outstanding equipment as well, I just didn't want to learn another menu system going from 4/3s, to Nikon, and to m4/3s.

16. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Two of my favorite portrait shooters on the forum are @spatulaboy@spatulaboy (who was until recently shooting with a pair of G7s) and @rav@rav (who shoots with the original E-M10 + O25/1.8). I think that you will not regret either the E-M10 MkII or the G7 (which is admittedly a slightly older model). Check out Portraits only Thread -Share yours please to see their and other portraits taken with m43.

I personally like the aesthetic of Olympus cameras, but I don't think that you will go wrong with either. One thing to remember if you get a the G7 is that you will not have in body image stabilization (IBIS) and you should buy Panasonic lenses to go with it.

I have no experience with the sigma 30/1.4, but looks like a nice lens and is definitely worthy of consideration as a long normal/portrait lens. It will fall somewhere between your 50mm and 85mm lenses in equivalent focal length.

BTW, I second @Clint@Clint's suggestion of new body and used lenses. I was able to pick up almost new (still had the plastic wrap on) O25/1.8 and O45/1.8 for just over $200 each.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    I cannot say much about the Olys because I have mostly been using Panasonic cameras. But I have been buying used gear here and over on FM, and I never had any issues nor have I heard of any major problems with buying used gear on these two photo-related sites, where photo enthusiasts really seem to take care of their gear. Just throwing that in there, if budget is a concern, it's definitely something to consider.

Stefan

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @Olygirl440@Olygirl440 , why do you not want to buy used to start?

With a budget of $1200-1300, you can get some nice gear if you buy used. Used PL25's can be had for $300-350 all day. It looks like E-M10 II's go for $350-400.

Let's say you get an E-M10 II for $375 and a PL25 for $325, that's a total of $600, leaving you an extra $600-700. If you were to buy the gear new, it would cost you $650 for the body-only, and another $600 for the lens, so a total of $1,250, or more than double the cost of purchasing used.

To be honest, gear is babied so much that it's crazy to buy new IMO, unless it's an item that just doesn't come up used very often. Fortunately, E-M10 II's and PL25's are plentiful. At the end of the day, it's your money, but I'd rather spend half the amount and use the extra funds to get some additional items, like an extra lens or two.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Olygirl440

Olygirl440 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2017
    Upper Peninsula
    Ashlee
    I guess my reservations about buying Olympus gear used is my E520 (bought brand new) that didn't even last 14,000 clicks back in 2007 (I think). I've bought used lenses before and have been very happy with them. You make valid points it's definitely something to consider. I know one lens doesn't seem like much to start out with and good points to make my budget stretch. :)

20. rav

rav Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 28, 2015
    Olympus 25mm 1.8 review

The Versatile Nifty-Fifty - Olympus 25mm f1.8 Lens Review - Raviraj Kande

Olympus 25mm F 1.8 vs Panasonic 25mm F 1.4

Olympus 25mm f/1.8 vs. Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 - Admiring Light

Regarding the Olympus 45mm you can actually close your eyes and buy that lens it's that good and you won't ever regret.

Another option is sigma 60mm F 2.8 which is damn fine lens and cheaper too.
    Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Lens Review - The Underrated Star

Btw here is a pic I recently took with Olympus 25mm F 1.8 and Olympus OMD EM 10 mark 1 2017-02-17 06.49.38 1-01-01.

• Winner Winner x 18
    • Like Like x 10
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.