1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can I get rid of the extra propeller blades?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by CaptainD, Nov 14, 2011.

1. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    I have a Panasonic GH2 and I'm new to the video side of things. One of the things I plan on filming are some of my flights. I got an audio patch cable to feed the audio from the intercom and ATC into the camera, which works great. But, when the engine is running, I get extra propeller blades. It reminds me of the jellycam effect when I film with my iPhone. Is there some setting I can do with the camera to get that almost invincible propeller blur, instead of seeing the blades flickering.

Below is a link to a quick video I shot today so you can see what I mean. The white balance is off, I forgot to set it before I shot the video.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/32123784"]Audio and Jelly Cam Test on Vimeo[/ame]

2. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    What frame rate are you recording at?

I'm thinking some combination of slower frame rate and longer shutter speed might help.

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    If you film in 24p, you need to set the shutter speed to 1/50.

4. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    I have not played with the video settings much. I have it set to shoot in 1080i which I think is 24.

5. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Yes, a slower shutter speed should blur it away whatever frame rate you are using. You may need to use an ND filter to achieve correct exposure.

6. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    I'll have to go back to the plane this week and play with the settings again. I was just letting the camera set everything, I see now how to set the shutter speed myself.

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Test your settings at home with a house fan.

8. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    Oh, that's an excellent idea. I'll do that instead, it'll save me some fuel.