Can I get rid of other forum conversations?

Discussion in 'Site information' started by Grinch, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Is there anyway to make front page as it was before? If I wanted too see discussions on other forums I'd go there...this is like sponsored spam!!!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Grinch, I agree with you 100%

3. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Same here. I don't like the shortened "recent discussions" box - it used to be one of the best things about the homepage and now it is basically useless.

4. dlhickson

dlhickson Vaulter

Nov 18, 2013
    Encinitas, CA
    Dave Hickson
    Same here

5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Does everybody now see three Amazon US adverts (not very "target audience" for us folks living in the rest of the world) stacked down the left hand side? I understand that a site needs advertising to pay for itself but showing the same advert three times on the same page? I much preferred having the longer list shown for recent discussions and buy and sell, the truncated lists only show 6 or so posts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Left or right? There shouldn't be any ads on the left.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You could only go to other forums because you know they exist. We have a lot of members on this site who shoot more than one system and are unaware of the other sites.

All of these sites are expensive to maintain, and the success of any one site helps pay the expenses of the others. Ad revenue from Mu-43 is down, costs are up, and ultimately having more people aware of the other sites helps me pay for this one.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Levster

Sorry, it was very early when I wrote that! They're on the right. I see three ads that are identical to each other.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, those are new. I wish I had a way to show them only to US members, but I do not.

So far they seem to be helping earn some much needed ad revenue, and I put them in a location where I hope they do not bother members. I have them enabled in my own view, and they don't bother me. If they do bother you, then one option is to use an ad blocker for your browser. Also, site donors/subscribers do not see those ads, so that is another option.

10. Levster

Now subscribed!

• Like Like x 1
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

AdBlocker plus ... I see no ads!

Sorry Amin.

12. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I can appreciate that, but they are in the top right corner of the header are they not?
    maybe others don't realize this?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's what I am trying to address. I am certain that a lot of people don't know about those sites or what the top right corner is about.

14. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    You are most certainly the only webmaster who has ever suggested his readers use an ad blocker. While I respect your motives for that, it's really pretty silly. You provide a service and deserve to get paid per the market price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.