Can I get info off jpg?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BillW, Dec 27, 2012.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I had an opportunity to shoot with a GH3 and G5 at a camera store.
    Is there a way to get the camera settings from the jpg files?
    Lightroom shows ISO, shutter, wb, etc.
    I'm interested to see what modes were used, what jpg compression, etc.
    Windows does not give enough details, either.
  2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Hmm- I don't think you can get jpg compression + modes (the art filters?) from exif data.
  3. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

[ame=]ExifTool - CNET[/ame]

I think that's the windows version, I use exiftool on linux and at least on oly's I can get pretty much everything including everything you mentioned and much more.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    "Exchangeable Image File Format" is the spec for storing a jpg, including previews, audio, etc. Part of the EXIF specifies a data block where the type of information you want can be stored. That is where GPS-based information can be stored as well.

This is a pretty good free tool for looking at EXIF data: Exif viewer : Opanda IExif - Professional EXIF / GPS / IPTC Viewer & Editor in Windows, IE & Firefox I also use EXIFTool, but primarily for writing to the data block in a photo processing application I wrote. The Opanda gadget is easier IMHO for poking around.

For the gory details, here is the EXIF spec: It's actually a JEITA (formerly JEIDA) spec but for some reason it's not available for download from them. Or it wasn't last time I looked, anyway.

The actual information in the EXIF, both kind and amount, varies quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from model to model. So you will have to look for yourself to see what can be found. Be aware that people take great liberty with what they store, sometimes significantly stretching or even ignoring the tag names and definitions in the spec. So you might have to do some detective work.
  5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    I prefer KUSO Exif Viewer 3.0 for Windows myself. I didn't like Opanda.
    You can download it here:- Download KUSO Exif Viewer Free , but don't click on the adverts (that can look like the downloading point), just the program download.
  6. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Ghetto is right, you can get exiftool by Phil Harvey which actually is a command line program also here:

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

and a windows GUI here:

Phil Harvey's program is being used by a number of other programs for viewing exif data.
  7. adsinger

adsinger Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 2, 2010
    First Coast, FL