Can I get a consensus?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Jun 13, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Which is stronger, Metz 44 AF-1 or Oly FL-600R?

Too many guide numbers, ISOs, and zoom settings out there for me to wrap my little brain around. It looks like the FL-600 is a replacement for the FL-36R and has the same GN, so the Metz is stronger at GN44 over GN36. Right?

2. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Yup

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You can't look at the guide number on its own..lyou also have to look at the focal length and ISO the guide number was measured at.

Olympus doesn't mention the focal length the GN was measured at! Are they hiding something to get away with claiming a higher GN?

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    According to Olympus Asia
    GN 36/m @iso 100 at 12mm coverage
    GN 17/m @iso 100 with diffuser for 8mm coverage

I don't think they're trying to hide anything.

Fred

5. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    For comparison the Metz 44 AF-1
    GN 44/m iso 100 at 105mm coverage. I assume this is "full frame" coverage so would be 52mm foe m43. That's the narrowest coverage in the zoom range. It covers a field of view of 24-105mm equivalent (that's 12-52mm for us)

The GN will be lower at the wide end but Metz doesn't tell. I would guess 2-4 stops difference, but it's just a guess.

The FL-600 is more powerful for wide coverage, less for narrower coverage.

Fred

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Could you make it MORE confusing! LOL!!!

I just want to buy a flash. I don't like the size of the Metz or Oly 50s, so it was down to the 44 AF-1, until the FL-600R came out. The Oly is $100 more than the Metz, but power is power. I've had the Metz, it worked great. Really simple operation, 4 AA power (rather than the FL-36R's 2 AAs), and USB upgradable (if it ever matters...). Easy choice until this upstart FL-600R came to town.

7. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If size and weight are important to you an you can afford the extra $100, go for the Olympus. I've used old Olympus T-32's over the years. The GN is 34/m and it's ways been powerful enough for common indoor bounce-off-the-ceiling uses.

If the $100 means no flash, go for the Metz. It's a nice unit.

Fred

8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I can afford either. Bought the Metz from Amazon (through our m4/3 link) for $189. It never let me down before, and is made very well. After the Oly has been out for a while, I'll look for one used for half the price.

Most of the time the Metz is used photographing products in my office, bounced off the ceiling. The stronger the unit, the more DOF I'm afforded.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would probably just stick with the Metz. You're familiar with it, you like it, it's affordable, and I don't see the FL-600R really offering any real advantage to it. The FL-600R is a wonderful replacement for the slow-recycling FL-36R.

10. SteveBeck

SteveBeck Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    You can fire the Oly's wirelessly? I haven't looked at Metz flashes in a LONGTIME but they could not be fired wirelessly in the past with my nikon or canon gear. Has that changed?

11. ftwphoto

ftwphoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2011
    Yes you can fire the Metz wirelessly. It works just as the Oly flashes do, with the exception of manual power adjustments when using it with the new E-M5. Metz is apparently in testing phases to determine the problem and will then provide a firmware update. Works completely on every other Oly/Pana model.

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    The Metz 44-AF-1 works perfectly with all Oly functionality. It is slightly bigger than the FL-36R, but uses 4 AAs instead of 2. It is a great flash for m4/3.

13. SteveBeck

SteveBeck Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    Nice! Thanks for the info!

14. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    With Metz flashes, you have to make sure to get the right version to work with your camera, Canon version of Metz for Canon, Nikon version for Nikon, Olympus version for Oly/Pana, etc., if you want TTL communication (wired or wireless).

For the AF-1 you want the AF-1O.

I know I posted this link a million times already, but near the end it talks about how Oly's flash system works:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxFFkZot24I"]An In-Depth Look at the Olympus Pen Camera System with Wireless Flash - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1